soil stack help please

8ball

Hi guys I am starting my downstairs utility room/toilet and have just removed some of the plasterboard from the boxed in soil pipe and this is what I have

59231312da74f_20170522_134016-Copy.thumb.jpg.4a7ffac867d8366679488e82ac9cadf7.jpg

As I have never done any plumbing before except install a rad so I thought I would ask a few questions before I start planning the job.

So I,m fitting a standard toilet about 90 - 100cm away from this stack and then opposite the toilet is going to be a washing machine, sink and drainage from the combi boiler.

Can I remove the orange coupling measuring 14cm in height and trim the pipe coming out of the slab to enable a slip coupling and a FLOPLAST SP190G 92.5° Branch, maybe I'm way off but Ive got to start somewhere.

Just a bit of background info -- the stack is vented through the roof upstairs and has 1 toilet, a bath, a shower and sink connected, the stack comes straight down into the slab.

Cheers

27 minutes ago, 8ball said:

Can I remove the orange coupling measuring 14cm in height and trim the pipe coming out of the slab to enable a slip coupling and a FLOPLAST SP190G 92.5° Branch, maybe I'm way off but Ive got to start somewhere.

Yes that's the best method _if_ the heights work out ok. Obviously the branch has to be lower than the outlet from the WC pan and this can be a problem. Note that you must not cut the stack down too low. You have to leave enough for the slip coupling to slide over as I think the bit of pipe on the branch coupling is too short to slide to coupling over that.

If no other option there are these glue and strap bosses...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sp319g-strap-boss-grey-110mm/93635

See what others suggest.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Yes that's the best method _if_ the heights work out ok. Obviously the branch has to be lower than the outlet from the WC pan and this can be a problem. Note that you must not cut the stack down too low. You have to leave enough for the slip coupling to slide over as I think the bit of pipe on the branch coupling is too short to slide to coupling over that.

See what others suggest.

Thanks Temp for the advice

Edited by 8ball
Had a blond moment even though I don't have hair

1 hour ago, Temp said:

See what others suggest.

How would a 110mm pipe from a toilet connect to the boss you recommended? I looked at the questions and answers on screwfix and the biggest size is 50mm

The slip coupling will NOT go at the bottom. The branch for the pan will need to be a tripple socket branch and will go straight on the stub of pipe coming out of the floor (cut to the right length)

The slip coupling will go somewhere above to enable you to join it all back together (as you can't pull it apart) and you might need two slip couplings and insert a short bit of pipe between them.  You may also need to expose the stack a bit higher, it might not be possible to get it all in what you have exposed.

Thanks for the replies guys, Barney12 that is just what I needed...top man:D.

Just a couple of questions, 1.what's a triple socket? and 2. Exposing my stack a little higher is no problem but is it OK to get rid of that grey vent that's sticking out?

Cheers;)

Tripple socket means all 3 connections are female http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-equal-junction-triple-87-5/12152 So the bottom will just plug onto the stub coming out of the ground. Your new branch to the wc will plug into the side, and a bit of pipe then the slip coupling out of the top.

Yes that's an underground one, the first I found the the same applies to the above ground ones as well

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 8ball said:

Thanks for the replies guys, Barney12 that is just what I needed...top man:D.

Just a couple of questions, 1.what's a triple socket? and 2. Exposing my stack a little higher is no problem but is it OK to get rid of that grey vent that's sticking out?

Cheers;)

@Nickfromwales might provide a better answer but is that a vent or is it a rodding access point?

As @ProDave says, it's one you need space for to work so make it easy for yourself. 

Two slip couplings will make it easier, either use a strap boss above the branch to get the wastes in or go into the side boss but make the turn with two 45 degree bends image.thumb.jpg.b6391981921002009c47f431e494494d.jpg

On 23/05/2017 at 09:51, PeterW said:

As @ProDave says, it's one you need space for to work so make it easy for yourself. 

Two slip couplings will make it easier, either use a strap boss above the branch to get the wastes in or go into the side boss but make the turn with two 45 degree bends image.thumb.jpg.b6391981921002009c47f431e494494d.jpg

Thanks for the info Peter, the toilet I am buying/chosen has a 180mm height exit as in pic below, I think the new branch will be to high if I use 2 slip couplings as in your drawing.

Capture1.JPG.10a7aff2360235f874f14f6094a1c1e9.JPG

Hmmm

I'm looking online at present trying to find out the centre point height of the t branch on the Floplast triple socket, I have been to the manif's website looking at PDF's but no luck. Does anyone have one they can take a quick measurement off of?^_^

7 minutes ago, 8ball said:

I'm looking online at present trying to find out the centre point height of the t branch on the Floplast triple socket, I have been to the manif's website looking at PDF's but no luck. Does anyone have one they can take a quick measurement off of?^_^

give me 10 mins!

1 minute ago, Barney12 said:

Sorry, scrapp that. I thought I had one but I dont :(

No worries mate, I was just looking for a stubby version of a triple socket which could help if the standard size is to big. I'll nip down to wickes with ma tape measure:D

Edited by 8ball

The triple sockets seem to be shorter if they are solvent weld, is there any disadvantage with that type of fitting?

Ah the difference seems to be that push fit can be twisted/rotated and remounted as solvent is solid and once its fitted its fitted - thanks google:P

Edited by 8ball
stupid question, should have googled in 1st place

1 hour ago, 8ball said:

The triple sockets seem to be shorter if they are solvent weld, is there any disadvantage with that type of fitting?

Ah the difference seems to be that push fit can be twisted/rotated and remounted as solvent is solid and once its fitted its fitted - thanks google:P

You need to dry fit things before solvent gets anywhere near the joint and mark joining pieces with a score mark or Sharpie if it won't rub off! Then clean all joints with IPA ideally. Then you apply solvent just turn and align the marks.

(Thanks to all who told me this a couple of months ago! :)

Me being me but I often use a pipe clip to draw a straight line to cut around:

2017-02-25_08-50-55

Also found the S'fix plastic mitre block is a perfect fit around 110mm pipe.

20170225_110344

Bahco saw from S'fix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-prizecut-hard-point-toolbox-saw-14/44210

FFS don't cut a sh!tty pipe then yourself with the saw!

Edited by Onoff

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Me being me but I often use a pipe clip to draw a straight line to cut around:

Also found the S'fix plastic mitre block is a perfect fit around 110mm pipe.

Bahco saw from S'fix:

FFS don't cut a sh!tty pipe then yourself with the saw!

Thanks for the tips Onoff, Ive got all those goodies hanging around in the garage somewhere:D. Good idea with the pipe clip.

"FFS don't cut a sh!tty pipe then yourself with the saw!"xD

Tbh if you've a marked line and things are real tight then there's always the multi tool.

Oh, don't forget to deburr the cut pipes. Bit of sandpaper / gloves / "DON'T FLUSH" sign in the WC above! :) Tbh "DON'T USE" might be be better as No1s and 2s might displace water down the stack without flushing.

G'teed thd wife/kids will want to use it when you do the job.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1