Lights to mount on a narrow beam

Crofter

I've got two exposed beams in the bedroom, and I'd like to use these as the mounting points for the lights in that room.

Problem is, the beams are only 44mm wide. So I think I will struggle to find a spotlight design that is narrow enough to mount to that, without it sticking out at the sides, which would obviously look a bit ugly.

The drastic solution is to buy more timber and double up each beam- this would need to be glued and clamped to avoid leaving fixings on show. 88mm is still pretty narrow, but should allow me to mount a small spot.

The other option is to hunt down light fittings that can work with the 44mm beam as-is. Or fix something to the side of the beam- but I'm not sure if that would look a bit untidy?

Or, alternatively, forget the whole idea and use those shallow LED fittings that @Stones has used, and then they could be mounted in the slopes of the vaulted ceiling. That could be a tricky one, though, because one side is already plasterboarded, with only a 25mm void behind, so getting wires to the right places would be... challenging.

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Can you not mount on the side of the beam..??

That's what the sparky said... I'm just not convinced it would look right! I've probably got too frigid a picture of what I think it should look like in my head. Off to do some Google image searching...

Track lighting would be my choice. Anything else, ecen if you find a fitting that is narrow enough, you have to get a cable to it, and surface mounted or in trunking will look pants.

Akternatively (not so popular now) a low voltage suspended lighting system you know where you string two tensioned cables and the light fittings screw onto the cables.