Evening

hurst75

Evening all!

I’m kind of half way through and plan to do most of the remaining work myself… maybe!

By day I make polished concrete, by night I watch box sets and drink gin. On the weekends I get about half an hour to do construction!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hurst75 said:

Evening all!

I’m kind of half way through and plan to do most of the remaining work myself… maybe!

By day I make polished concrete, by night I watch box sets and drink gin. On the weekends I get about half an hour to do construction!

On our last build We both worked 40 hours per week 

Spent two hours Monday to Thursday 

12 hours Friday to Sunday 

All holidays including Boxing Day and still took two years to finish 

It will be a Lonnnnnng road unless you up your site time 😂

• Like 2

Evening all!

Your attitude is most welcome here . Enjoy the slow meandering path 😁

Welcome

By day I make polished concrete, by night I watch box sets and drink gin. On the weekends I get about half an hour to do construction

Seems about the right balance.  If you spend half an hour a day, and it is productive, then you are way ahead of others.

You could swap out the gin for Blue Sparkle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hurst75 said:

Jealous, I would do the same if I didn’t have a SWMBO to motivate me 😬

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Marvin said:

Hi @hurst75

Save time. First plan your work and then work your plan.

Every 10 hours of work I did needed 2 hours of planning,designing, material ordering, and so on.... 

I do 2 minutes work for 10 hours of planning 

On 20/05/2022 at 22:32, hurst75 said:

... I get about half an hour to do construction!

Every time I start a job, it takes me half an hour to find all the tools and materials I need (even if I was  working on the same job yesterday). Half an hour a week would leave progress at a permanent standstill.

31 minutes ago, jack said:

Every time I start a job, it takes me half an hour to find all the tools and materials I need (even if I was  working on the same job yesterday). Half an hour a week would leave progress at a permanent standstill.

Only half an hour ? . I’ve been hunting for drill bits / crowbars etc. for weeks !

17 hours ago, pocster said:

Only half an hour ? . I’ve been hunting for drill bits / crowbars etc. for weeks !

Half-hour minimum.

Often, if I have a project to do over the weekend, I spend Saturday looking for all the tools and materials. It's usually dinnertime by the time I've found everything I need, so I finish up for the day.

Sunday morning I go to start again, then realise I'm missing something essential. Quick trip to Screwfix or Toolstation (me not being able to start a job without such a trip has genuinely become a standing joke in our house), back home, half an hour finding all my gear again, then if I have any time left, I make a start.

Rinse and repeat.

Now you know why it took nearly 5 years from moving in until sign-off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jack said:

Yes ! Very fast indeed ! I’m at 7 years with at least 2 years to go I reckon ( so we will call it 3 ) . You are positively lightening!! 😁

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I have been pondering getting an ASHP for 18 years now.

Had at least that number of sexual partners, they are all hopeless blowtorch and paintbrush.

Here's hoping @pocster's a keeper! 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jack said:

Half-hour minimum.

Often, if I have a project to do over the weekend, I spend Saturday looking for all the tools and materials. It's usually dinnertime by the time I've found everything I need, so I finish up for the day.

Sunday morning I go to start again, then realise I'm missing something essential. Quick trip to Screwfix or Toolstation (me not being able to start a job without such a trip has genuinely become a standing joke in our house), back home, half an hour finding all my gear again, then if I have any time left, I make a start.

Rinse and repeat.

Your flaw is going to the shop/ BM .

I’ve done this . They don’t have exactly what I need so I buy ‘nearest’ thinking I can improvise .Get back to base and realise it won’t work so order online . Online stuff arrives 2/3 days later . Realise I’ve ordered the wrong stuff . So package it up to take back to PO and then drive to BM knowing they have what I need ! . Get to BM ; item is out of stock . So get home and order item online .

So it can take weeks just to get some basic materials/ parts on site 😁