Ok for kitchen waste water to exit this way?

notreadyforthis

Sorry for the shoddy sketch but the builder is planning to route kitchen waste water using a channel that is in front of the garage door. That channel is original to the property and has one of those metal coverings so it is partially exposed. I’m assuming this is to provide a barrier to catch water during heavy rain and stop it from flooding the garage?

The waste water from the kitchen is just for the sink and dishwasher. Checking this with the builder he said the volume of water won’t overwhelm it. My concern would be the fact that it’s partially exposed as the waste water runs across the garage door. That channel used to get clogged up with leaves.

Should this channel be used in the first place? If it is legit for use, should the open nature of it be sealed off to prevent leaves, etc. blocking it?

C381D092-9DF9-4306-AC9F-ADB7259D2E15.jpeg

13 minutes ago, markc said:

Main concern would be what the channel discharges into, if this is a foul drain then no problem but you cannot dump waste water into a surface water drain.

Thanks. The builder said he checked this and confirmed it leads to a foul drain. I don’t know if the two are connected but I have a feeling my property or my part of the street doesn’t have a surface water drain as I get a rebate on my water bill for this.

It would be very odd for an AKO drain to drain into a foul waste system, that would as a minimum need to connect via a trap.

Even if it does, kitchen sink water might be left standing in the drain if it does not have a decent fall and could get smelly in summer.

But most important is what building control will say, I expect they will not approve it.

Dig a channel across the drive and lay a proper foul drain for the kitchen waste.

42 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It would be very odd for an AKO drain to drain into a foul waste system, that would as a minimum need to connect via a trap.

Even if it does, kitchen sink water might be left standing in the drain if it does not have a decent fall and could get smelly in summer.

But most important is what building control will say, I expect they will not approve it.

Dig a channel across the drive and lay a proper foul drain for the kitchen waste.

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

So your going to fill the grating up with rice and peas. 

Nope, get a gulley fitted on the corner connecting into the foul drain. 

It’s entirely possible I have misunderstood what the builder was saying so I will go back to him to check on Monday.

The comments above are helpful. I find that if I just say to the builder I don’t like something or I think something looks wrong without being able to go a bit further to say why then it doesn’t really go very far.

The builder may suggest that we channel the waste water to the right of the window instead but it would mean an extra pipe down the right. The left side will have a pipe for the pitched roof so I thought it would be tidier to keep both pipes on the same side.