Three phase installation

WWilts

New build in progress.

Three phase supply installed up to our kiosk. Kiosk is about 15m from dwelling. Smart meter will be installed in kiosk.

Intention is to have 1 phase in dwelling. But have 3 phase available to dwelling for future proofing. Plus for 22V EV charger near kiosk.

Question:
Is that a sensible plan?
If so, what SWA to run from kiosk to house? (5 core? how thick? etc. Novice here)

As above, take 3 phase into the house. I pay same standing charge as I did for single phase.

If it’s a big house I would even split into two CU’s on different phases or install a phase switch on CU tails in case of a power cut. Rare all the phases are taken out during a fault or line strike so you can still have power if a phase or even two are lost

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WWilts said:

Plus for 22V EV charger near kiosk.

What's a 22V EV charger?

If you plan to feed it direct from the kiosk, you'll need some sort of distribution board and breaker for it in there. At very least make sure you have a 4 pole isolator switch on the tails after the meter so you can adapt the consumer side without having to open the meter up.

3 phase chargers are uncommon as most EVs don't support 3ph charging, AIUI.

If so, what SWA to run from kiosk to house? (5 core? how thick? etc. Novice here)

If you run 3ph to the house but only plan to use one phase you'll have to oversize the SWA considerably to accommodate it all on any phase. You're probably looking at 10mm2 minimum and in 5 core that's hard work.

Another option is to put 3 core in now and duct so you can add more later.

We ended up pulling a separate earth core, to keep the  SWA more manageable.

Additionally, if solar PV panels to be added in future, what can be done now with cabling for some degree of future proofing?

How much PV will you have space for?

If it's more than 3.68kW then putting it into multiple phases will save on paperwork so worth pulling 3phase to wherever you think the inverter might go. (Tip: they're best sited somewhere that will remain cool even on a hot day)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, joth said:

worth pulling 3phase to wherever you think the inverter might go. (Tip: they're best sited somewhere that will remain cool even on a hot day)

Roughly how big are these inverters?
Assuming space on roof for 8kW worth of panels

You need to advise on earthing arrangement.

tncs?

significant electrical loads to work out current consumption.

distance to house consumer unit.

size of kiosk?

helpful if distribution equipment is going in there too 

along with EV distribution equipment- 

Edited by TonyT

3 hours ago, TonyT said:

You need to advise on earthing arrangement.

tncs?

significant electrical loads to work out current consumption.

distance to house consumer unit.

size of kiosk?

helpful if distribution equipment is going in there too 

along with EV distribution equipment- 

Not sure what earthing arrangement. Observed that at the boundary with public footway, where there is a hard black sausage marked "live" with a thick black cable going into and out of it, there is also an apparently copper rod about 1m long partly buried in the earth.
Open to any suggestions about cost-effective earthing. 

Electrical loads: 4 bedrooms, normal lighting & usual kitchen appliances. Occasional power tools usage.

Kiosk about 20m from house CU location

The kiosk is W1130, H1490, D320. Potentially can take more than the cutouts and smart meter.

Open to any suggestions

1 hour ago, WWilts said:

Electrical loads: 4 bedrooms, normal lighting & usual kitchen appliances

Do you have Gas hob, oven, boiler, or all-electric? ASHP?

1 hour ago, WWilts said:

Open to any suggestions about cost-effective earthing. 

Generally the DNO will inform you the earthing arrangement when they install the head, normally via some stickers on the cutout.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WWilts said:

Assuming all of this will be after the meter and it is therefore your responsibility and of no concern to DNO, then 25mm 4 Core SWA, at that size conductor, armour will be suitable for earth.

If DNO side they will supply 16mm or 25mm split concentric - probably 16mm as they apply a lot more diversity than anyone else ever would. 

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, joth said:

3 phase chargers are uncommon as most EVs don't support 3ph charging, AIUI.

Tesla and Renault Zoe have 3-phase chargers on board.  Modern Tesla's are 16 amp 3-phase so 11kW.

Nearly all public AC charge-points here in Northern Ireland (by ESB) are 3-phase.

I'm assuming the OP drives a Tesla 🤔

We're planning a similar setup with a 3-phase charge-point near to a 3-phase meter kiosk, so this thread most informative!

Edited by Mr Blobby

probably a nice single phase consumer unit for the house, more cost effective

a small 3 phase consumer unit for the EV charger at the kiosk.

Lots of opinions but I think ensuring you have sufficient sized ducts from kiosk to house, kiosk to garage, kiosk to EV position, etc is worthwhile.

We always used 100mm flexiducts with blue rope added in prior to backfilling.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2022 at 05:43, WWilts said:

Three phase supply installed up to our kiosk. Kiosk is about 15m from dwelling

I had hoped to do the same.  Three phase supply into big kiosk aout 15 metres from house.  From kiosk run 3 phases to EV charger close to kiosk and another 3 phases into house.

Well that's what I had hoped to do until talking to NIE today.  NIE have told me that they only connect temporary supplies to a kiosk.  They do not allow a permanent supply to a kiosk, only to a metre box on the wall of the house.  Which means running more cable from the house back out the route of the suply to the EV charger.  What a pile of crap that is.

Has anyone in Northern Ireland got round this restriction and installed a permanent meter in a kiosk away from the house?  I assume not.

Edited by Mr Blobby

37 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Well that's what I had hoped to do until talking to NIE today.  NIE have told me that they only connect temporary supplies to a kiosk.  They do not allow a permanent supply to a kiosk, only to a metre box on the wall of the house.  Which means running more cable from the house back out the route of the suply to the EV charger.  What a pile of crap that is.

So what stops you getting the "temporary" meter in a kiosk, and then never quite "finishing" the house so never asking for the meter to be moved?  Are they actually going to come and check and insist they move it?

• Like 1

On 26/04/2022 at 10:46, ProDave said:

So what stops you getting the "temporary" meter in a kiosk, and then never quite "finishing" the house so never asking for the meter to be moved?  Are they actually going to come and check and insist they move it?

NIE have told me that the temporary connection is disconnected after 12 months.  It is possible to request an extension if the build is not complete but NIE will at some point disconnect the temporary supply and insist on a meter cabinet on the wall.  Which is crap because as I see it there would be three conduits running down the wall from the meter box to the ground, (i) supply in, (ii) conduit running under house to internal CU, and (iii) conduit out to EV charger at front of house (near to where the kiosk would otherwise have been)

I've asked NIE on twitter messaging to explain why they prohibit meter kiosks that are allowed in GB.  It will be interesting to see if they come back with a reason.

Edited by Mr Blobby
I can't speel