Cleaning stone

Following on from my other post .

Some very dirty quoins ! . Pressure wash won’t touch it - any way to clean them up a bit ?

Secondly my shuttering leaked a bit over my wall . Some ‘ smeary ‘ cement on it . Brushing it when dry helped a bit - but a recommended product to clean it up a bit appreciated.

65B9BB24-C5CB-4D86-8331-99DBC23159F3.jpeg

On 09/04/2022 at 15:20, joe90 said:

I use this, found it very good

5CE3BD5C-D3A3-444F-A52D-852EEB5EA177.jpeg

This stuff was good on the random stone . 1 : 4 mix with water at first . Always scared the acid will burn the entire wall away ! . Went over more stubborn bits later with it neat . 
Does the job 👍

Says not to use on sandstone. So tried my favourite ‘ wet & forget ‘ on them - jury is still out . According to the reviews you need to leave it and be patient…

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Wet and forget is a selective herbicide so good for algae. Etc but that’s not what you have on the wall..

get the acid on

And then washed off

Acid on random stone is good . But what should I use for the quoins / copings ??

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Around @pocster,s area stone goes black from Avonmouth (an industrial area and docks with a history of pollution) I know because I used to live close by (but escaped 😇).

Yes . They do go black . Real black some of them ; so technically it’s “dirt” from pollution ???? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Reluctant to use acid unless I really have to and equally the same with bleach

Why

I think that cement is alkaline, so the acid will remove it, and not damage the stone to much, which is lower down the pH scale.

Bleach acts as an alkaline solution, so is probably heading in the wrong direction.

It is all to do with the free electrons and the movement of ions, not that I really understand it.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Why

I think that cement is alkaline, so the acid will remove it, and not damage the stone to much, which is lower down the pH scale.

Bleach acts as an alkaline solution, so is probably heading in the wrong direction.

It is all to do with the free electrons and the movement of ions, not that I really understand it.

As you say . Don’t want to damage the stone . Also environmental trying to avoid acid and bleach .