Three Phase Meter Installation

Ben Weston

Anyone had any luck getting a three phase smart meter installed? Our single phase supply is being cut off, and the new three phase laid, in a few weeks. As soon as I got the date from UKPN (many weeks ago), I let our supplier (Bulb) know that we needed a new three phase meter installed prior to them removing the cables for the single phase.

As yet, we've made no progress. Bulb say their supplier (EON) has no three phase meters available and they're waiting on a date from them.

What are our options? We're a family of 5 and can't be without power but we're seemingly at the mercy of Bulb and EON? I can buy a smart three phase meter online with no issues but presume I can't have a meter installed privately?

SMET2 3-Phase meters are difficult to come by. I change supplier regularly and I've not yet found one that installs them, but others on here have.

I've currently got a SMET1, which is no longer smart as I've moved away from the supplier that installed it.

Is a SMET1 or non-Smart 3-Phase not an option?

I would try Octopus, they were brilliant when I wanted the other two meters installed. All they asked is that I would accept a smart meter and they would then install free. (I had offered to pay to have the extra two installed)

Second vote for Octopus. I had a new 3 phase line put in by western power distribution and it was only Octopus who would install a smart meter, which they did in February. It did take a while to get an appointment but I could wait as it’s a new build.

Thanks all for your advice! 

I don't really want to switch supplier at this time as my rates will go up but it might come to that. Bulb offload their meter services to EON who, I presumed, were one of the 'big guys' but maybe not? I'm not sure what else we can do? Can we pay a company to install one directly?

Search back through the threads, there's a real problem getting any meter installation at the moment (unless its improved very recently) due to the price capping debacle and the collapse of the smaller suppliers. I got mine a few weeks back (EON) and the only hope was with the big ones I had to threaten the ombudsman and radio 4 Moneybox before I got any action. 

4 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Search back through the threads, there's a real problem getting any meter installation at the moment (unless its improved very recently) due to the price capping debacle and the collapse of the smaller suppliers. I got mine a few weeks back (EON) and the only hope was with the big ones I had to threaten the ombudsman and radio 4 Moneybox before I got any action. 

That's worrying.

Is there not an obligation to provide a meter in this type of situation? The single phase lines are being taken out as part of a betterment thing, so new cables are undergrounded (we're paying extra to upgrade to three phase at the same time); surely it can't be right we'd be left without power for weeks or months?! Maybe it is. No idea what my 'consumer rights' are in this instance.

34 minutes ago, patp said:

It was Octopus for us. too.

Can I ask if how long it takes to get billed. Sshhhhh but ours was installed in December and we have not heard a dicky bird. Getting a bit jumpy now.

Funny you should mention that.

Following my comment yesterday about the big jump in charges coming our way when our fixed tariff ends in May, I visited my account to see what sort of usage we were looking at. Turns out that, although they've been taking out our direct debit correctly, we haven't had a bill since September. Before that it looks like we were getting one or two a month.

I've emailed them to ask what's going on. No reply as yet.

• 1 month later...

Thanks @AliG and I think you are with the same supplier as me so that's reassuring. The Scottish Power guy appeared to be suggesting that the simple fact you had a 3phase supply in itself could render you liable to a higher standing charge which was something I had never heard of.