Moving Incoming mains?

richo106

Hi 

We are planning our extension and at the front of the house the incoming mains come up the wall and into the garage. 

I have attached a photo and floor plan of where is sits.

Would people move this mains and re-route it? Or just leave the cable where it is? And batten the wall off so it’s behind the plasterboard?

Any advice/information would be greatly  appreciated 

many thanks 

527B5059-5156-4ECB-918A-DCA0D200D653.jpeg

3C6B752E-6147-4E8B-A300-AE0BD3342783.jpeg

If its already in a metal conduit, then it will be fine 'boxed in'. I'd just box it in in the corner of the room, so say a 125x125mm boxing in finished, and that will mark its location and make it a little safer imo. The metal conduit may need to be earthed, and bonded back to the CU when boxed in, but I'm not 100% sure. Others will comment soon enough.

Either that or pay for a service alteration and drill through the wall at its base, ( core drill down at an angle from inside the garage to outside, excavating first so you don't daage the cable whilst drilling ), and have the cable puled in and run up the inside the garage on show instead.

I think the missing detail is WHAT is in the garage?  supply head?  Meter?  Consumer unit?

What is going in place of the garage?  Where do you want the supply head, meter and consumer unit to end up?

Picture of what is presently in the garage?

Hi All

The garage is staying like it is (building wise) and in there is meter, CU and I am planning on leaving that like that

It is currently in plastic conduit/pipe

I was hoping to leave it in place as my previous dealings with utility companies are long winded and expensive

It would left in the corner of the room in the electrical zones but was also planning and adding further mechanical protection

Thanks again

Bigger question is how does it get there ..? And how deep is it ..?

Looks like you will build over it as part of the extension so you’ll need to be really careful and I would ideally look to get it moved into the driveway - if you have machinery on site then it’s just a meter move. 

It is very likely that the cable comes in at right angles from the road. Therefore it will be in the way of your new wall, and will be exposed (or broken) during excavation.

It is also unlikely to have enough slack to allow it to be nudge out of the way. 

I think the cable is the responsibility of the electric company  so you shouldn't bury it an foundations anyway.

Suggest you ask for it to be diverted....you may want to arrange the trenching/ducting

13 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

It is very likely that the cable comes in at right angles from the road. Therefore it will be in the way of your new wall, and will be exposed (or broken) during excavation.

It is also unlikely to have enough slack to allow it to be nudge out of the way. 

I think the cable is the responsibility of the electric company  so you shouldn't bury it an foundations anyway.

Suggest you ask for it to be diverted....you may want to arrange the trenching/ducting

Good points, indeed. Excavating slowly and carefully to expose the cable all the way to the boundary will identify what the position of the cable is, the available length, and the options for any required service alteration.

If it can just be pulled out and reinstated on the outside of the front facing garage wall, without needing extending, then that would be my preference for sure, but we've boxed in and covered so many over the years I've lost count. Usually a metal shield of sorts was sufficient to offer mechanical protection, like a length of 5mm steel C channel or similar.

Any service alterations I've ever needed from the electrical grid have been relatively simple to request / have executed, and were not that expensive tbh.

Get your DNO out to identify the cable position for you, they did this for a neighbour building a porch extension.  They found the cable was right where they wanted the extension so the neighbour had to pay to have the cable re routed, which involved a pot joint and extending it.  They would not allow build over.

Yes I have spoke to Western Power (DNO) and they are sending me a site plan and I also have to arrange a site visit as it looks like it will need to be moved unfortunately...similar situation to ProDaves neighbour I'm guessing

Thanks again