Hello, I'm new!

Firsttimebuyer

Just bought our first house and hope to be able to make improvements ourselves,  learning as we go.

First problem encountered already so hoping for some guidance!

Brand new beautiful solid oak door fitted. That went well! But I oiled it with Treatex clear oil as directed. When it dried,  the vertical pattern grooves in the door have gone orange!

What did I do wrong?! Should I sand the grooves back? The rest of the door looks great, but overall effect ruined by the orange tiger stripes!

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Morning Gus. I sincerely hope it isn't veneered as I bought and paid for solid oak! I think I'm going to try sanding the grooves lightly today. As mentioned the rest of the door is perfect. Really odd. Ah well, sanding lightly can't damage it I guess and I have to do something. Thank you for messaging. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

So I doubt it is solid oak as in a single piece thickness as it would be inhererently unstable.  It would also move and bend with moisture in the air and the different humidity levels between indoors and outdoors so in reality it is likely built up of an oak frame with other oak laminations. What you are seeing is the discoloration from a lower layer or potentially a glue layer reaction - that would show in the way you have described if there is a 3-4mm top veneer over the core. 

First stop is to go back to the supplier with the photos and the exact product you have used at their suggestion and advise you have issues. Then ask for their advise on what to do next, and get them to sort the problem. Sanding could make it worse and expose more glue, and you may need to potentially strip the door and use a different oil so that is all for the manufacturer to resolve, not you !!

OK I have an update, and I guess a confession. I bottled out when it came to contacting the door supplier. But it's not all bad news. I had a go at sanding the grooves and I think it looks OK. I know I'll have to toughen up and question when things aren't right and I'll try in future. But I can live with this, my doors look pretty good actually. When I oil next time,  think I'll just roller the surface and not in the grooves, should avoid the orange stripe effect!

20220227_154106.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joe90 said:

I have oak internal doors, but I know they are veneered and yes the “slots” are a little orange on a couple of them. Laminated doors are far more stable as said above.

We have XL Joinery internal Oak doors with grooves a bit like that, and oiled with Osmo door oil there is no difference in colour between the door and the grooves.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Doesn’t matter on the solution as long as problem is solved! Well done!

Oh my word thank you for that. Was worried I'd be invited to leave the forum for being a bit dim .... asking for advice, getting it and not following it. Thank you everyone for your responses it's great to be a small part of this. I'm going to be considering my options to improve existing conservatory next. Need to save up before I tackle it but I can enjoy the investigation and planning stages!