Meeting expectations in the bedroom

Now that I have your attention...

I'm just doing a last check on what furniture I need to fit into the bedroom before I commit to door positions etc.

First off, this is a holiday let designed for weekly lets to the couples market. So quite different requirements to a normal house.

The bedroom is fairly compact at only 2.9m wide, and there will be a double door on the centreline, leaving about 800mm for furniture either side.

I am working on the assumption that most people barely bother to unpack their suitcase when on holiday, and for those that do, they aren't going to be bringing enough clothes to fill the usual complement of wardrobes and chests of drawers. So it would be silly to clutter up the small bedroom with clunky items of furniture that are going to be empty for most of the time.

What I'm thinking is that on one side of the double doors there should be a chair (for general dumpage) and I could have a hook on the wall for anybody who has come to Skye on holiday and needs to hang up their ballgown. This will be much more compact than providing a full length wardrobe.

On the other side, I'm thinking something half height- could be drawers, could be a short wardrobe, or some kind of combination of these features- and this provides a space on top for the makeup, mirror, hair straighteners, etc. The space in this unit would be useful for those folks who actually bother unpacking their suitcase, or maybe as somewhere to put said suitcase. And in addition there will be drawers under the bed and in the bedside cabinets.

Most of these assumptions are based on what I/we would accept in a holiday let- but perhaps we are a bit unusual in our tastes. I don't really like unpacking everything because I think I'm far more likely to end up leaving things behind!

It would be great to get some feedback from other people on what furniture/storage they would expect in a holiday let.

How long am I on  holiday for?

A weekend: don't bother to unpack; washing straight into a large air-tight poly bag in the suitcase.

A week: I do unpack but I need somewhere to hang the 'washing' bag, and a stubbed-toe-safe-place to put the suitcase. Where can I put dripping wet running / walking / cycling kit so that I don't damage your property?

Longer: all the above plus and ironing board and drying room, somewhere to hang Deb's dresses and a decent jacket and shirt 

Built in wardrobes are VAT efficient. Stand alones aren't.

I was always one for keeping things packed unless staying for a week, but if we're staying more than one night my wife immediately unpacks everything into whatever drawers or shelves are available.  I actually prefer that approach now.

The main things I'd like to see in the bedroom of a holiday let (well, furniture-wise! :$) would be:

• a decent set of drawers
  • a small hanging area for a couple of shirts and dresses
  • somewhere to put a suitcase or two out of sight

From your post, it sounds like you have most of that covered.

Outside the bedroom, as Ian says, somewhere to hang wet coats and riding gear would be good.  

Ironing board + iron is useful if you're in the sort of area where a pressed shirt is going to be useful.

The Mrs will without fail unpack 90% of her things, even if we're in a note for one night! I would not bother for a day, but for a week I probably would.

Holiday makers will want to feel like it is their home for a week and that has to be your focus, not what "will do" as they are only there for a week.

An area where the ladies can sit and do make up would be useful, but you've got to choose a bed which is high enough off the ground to stow suitcases away, rather than drawers under the bed.

I'm not sure that a 1.3m double doors is a better use of space than a single 33" door (unless French doors to outside)

A drying room ( shed with lean-to). Talking from experience, kayak gear really smells foul, you do not want it indoors, trust me. The lean-to can be where mountain bikes and kayaks can be stored. It makes the experience so much better when you can leave your gear outside in a tidy and orderly way and then dive into a hot shower and then relax in comfortable surroundings. Sorry if I have gone off the point a bit.

As above, my other half always unpacks everything as soon as we arrive, and moans if there isn't enough hanging space or storage for other clothes.  I'd happily live out of a bag or case, and often have to at some places we've stayed, because there wasn't enough storage space.

12 hours ago, Crofter said:

I am working on the assumption that most people barely bother to unpack their suitcase when on holiday,

Imo probably a safe assumption usually for 2-3 days; not for 5-7 days. Have you checked with a personage of the female, gay, southern, bicyclist, horseriding, retired, American, or parental genders? Yes, stereotypes, but they always have a grain of truth in them. Ask me and I need storage for a comb, a toothbrush, a cocktail shaker, and a coffee machine; ask my sister ...

I think secure equipment storage matters - climbers or surfers or bikers or hikers or fishermen sometimes come with a lot of junk. eg Where can they store a tandem? Strange requirement but 4 couples on tandems once a year is a month of business. Fold up "X" section suitcase racks are very good.

Is there an argument for having eg some child stuff that you put in when they are parents? eg board games, toys, playpen, Wendy House, Shaun the Sheep, leg-irons, crocodiles etc. Depends on how your market pans out or when regulars start having kids.

I think you are likely to want to review after a year or two as you identify your market and have caught your regular guests. That could the time to consider eg the child kit.

It will also depend on your chosen routes to promotion ... if you list in something like Cyclists Welcome with the CTC (now British Cycling) then particular facilities will help (secure bike storage, but also a mass USB battery recharging facility).

On washing and drying, one way is a sealable shower with an extractor fan, which also lets them wash wetsuits 'n' spraydecks etc. Or an outside tap plus a shower head. My landlord used to take a nud shower in the yard everyday after he had been for a swim in the Hampstead Heath Bathing Pond and a jog back; there is a lot to be said for it (the outside shower head).

And do you know an experienced Holiday Accommodation owner who could spend half an hour looking at it and advising you? Or do the Highland Tourist people offer advice or guidance docs? They do in Derbyshire.

I am sure it will be great.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Outdoor shower is fab after a day of kayak / sailing and easily done - just stick isolators on the inside of the wall or even a cheap TMV and a push valve outside.

I never unpack unless its 3+ days and only then when there is somewhere to hang shirts etc. Those lift up beds are really good for hiding cases, stops clutter being seen under the bed from another room too. A folding case stand costs a few ££ but can live in the back of the wardrobe for the weekend warrior who doesn't want to unpack.

Some great ideas and feedback, thanks all. Obviously a huge variation in people's habits, from the out-of-a-suitcase types to the unpack-everything-even-for-one-nighters.

I'm sensing a strong assumption about how outdoorsy my visitors might be. This is is something I will look into, but from my existing experience of the sector up here, it's not as likely as you might think.

Skye has always been attractive to the hillwalking set, and the smaller markets of mountain bikers and kayakers. But the huge boom over the past three or four years has been more general than that. Big increase in visitors from SE Asia, and the vast majority of people are in hire cars and not encumbered by outdoorsy kit. I guess they are driving around looking at the scenery, visiting castles, etc; the Americans like to 'trace their roots'. I used to skipper a tourist boat and was surprised how urban most people were- climbing off the boat at the foot of the Cuillins and asking where the nearest public toilet was (the answer is, four to six hours walk away on the other side of the ridge).

I'm not saying that I won't try and provide facilities for the outdoorsy crowd, but I really doubt that they will be a big part of the market, at least at the present time. I also have a hunch that they are all far too tough to bother forking out on luxury accommodation anyway and would rather sleep in a bivvi bag :D

• Like 1

A second for raise the bed up not drawers below it. For people who don't want to unpack they can just slide their cases under the bed with clothes inside. For people who do unpack there will be enough space elsewhere and cases will take up a lot of space in a not very large room if there is nowhere to put them.

Although I don't run a B&B my wife is American and we have had dozens of people stay over the years so it sometimes feels like one. They think it is incredibly cold here and will be loaded down with coats. A few times in our house the have hung wet coats or indeed towels on radiator. The combination of a hot radiator and wet coat has led to damaging the plasterboard in the walls. Indeed I have seen a wall rippled in line with the fins on the back of the radiator. So somewhere to hang up wet stuff is probably a must as well as maybe a heated towel rail in the bathroom.

The other thing I find with many foreign visitors is they don't know how stuff works and for years I have been threatening to write up an operations manual for them. Of course people don't read stuff, but something next to the heating, washing machine etc to explain how it works will be useful and hopefully stop people breaking things. People's ability to break things through ignorance is extraordinary. Americans are not always used to front loading washing machine and heating systems are often designed differently in other countries for example. For some reason they also find multi-point door locks very confusing.

I would try and buy cheap solid wood furniture. It is more expensive than mdf stuff but if the melamine coating is damaged it is basically ruined whereas wood can usually be sanded and fixed. It is also harder to begin with. Also think about sealing the tops of any cabinets against water damage. If I had chairs/sofas I would go leather/fake leather for ease of cleaning too or loose covers that can be replaced.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Not sure I like the sound of that at all..................

Presumably that is why the dog looks surprised :ph34r:.

Seriously, that particular typo was inevitable once I started using an iPAD.

(Avoids linking parody of Apple advert for reasons of good taste).

F

@Crofter

Specifics.

1 - For a 2.5 seat sofa I recommend an Ikea Klippan. These are REALLY REALLY REALLY robust and last 5 years or more even in big student houses, cost £150, come flatpack, and there are a number of different replacement covers in patterns and colours. You can order online. Or get a decent secondhand one locally for £50 and buy a new cover. 

The trick is to have one spare cover in stock.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/sofas-armchairs/fabric-sofas/klippan-compact-2-seat-sofa-frame-flackarp-grey-art-70379343/

Covers are from about £30 to about £70 depending eg

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/textiles-rugs/covers/klippan-cover-two-seat-sofa-flackarp-green-art-00278861/

Or .. as mentioned .. go with leather.

2 - If your guests are to be partly South Asian, what about installing a 'toilet shower' for people from cultures where toiler paper alone is seen as unhygienic? A small point, but perhaps an inexpensive ~£50 differentiator if you have it mentioned in your ad in the correct terms?

eg: http://www.britishbathroomcompany.co.uk/showers/muslim-showers

https://www.bidet.org/pages/how-to-use-a-hand-held-bidet

(I am sure that Muslim Shower is *not* the correct term)

F

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

(I am sure that Muslim Shower is *not* the correct term)

They are often referred to as shattaf showers, I believe.  They form an important part of the cleansing before prayer, wudu, that every devout Muslim has to do after performing any unclean act.