We Move In ....

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Do I renew the site insurance for another year, or convert to unoccupied buildings insurance?

I would check the unoccupied cover policy. The normal policies I looked at (for occupied building) only covered minimal build works - £5 to 10k range.

The key difference wih build insurance is that in addition to cover for the unoccupied buildings, it also provides cover for mishaps during the build, including accidents to 3rd parties and I think for certain issues with building works.

Do not treat that last part as definitive - I read and re-read the policies at the time and also when I needed to make a damage claim, and they would win no awards for clarity.

For properties bought to renovate, it is sometimes full cover for 2 months which then drops back to fir / theft until a tenant is in occupation, as another example.

Ferdinand 

Edited by Ferdinand

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Why did you not need site insurance @PeterStarck, was it because you built in the garden of your existing house

I didn't need site insurance any longer because the house is largely completed and 90% furnished. I no longer have all the equipment on site associated with a build. I'm hoping to have it signed off later in the year. It is in the garden of the existing bungalow that we are living in until it is demolished. The policy is for a year with the proviso that is is inspected once a week. I'm in there nearly every day so a much cheaper option for me.

@PeterStarck interested to know who you're insured with.  We've been renewing our building insurance at a pretty high cost, like you, our new place is in the garden. Our insurance company said it's Building Insurance until it's signed off by the building inspector, and only then can you insure it as a normal property.