training mortar mix

gaz_moose

I've loads of blocks to lay but have never laid a block in my life so knocked up some training mortar to practice with before i decide if im going to get a brickie in or not.

i mixed it 4:1 Sand: Hydrated lime but it seems flat as hell, almost like its just wet sand. should i try adding some washing-up liquid to act as a plasticiser to fluff it up a bit? or is this type of mix usually like this? its all new to me and im just winging it ? 

i know washing up liquid is frowned upon but this is only for playing with to help get my confidence/speed up.

lime and sand only mortar is just for practicing with, instead of using cement so that it can be used over and over again without setting or sticking to stuff.

I can lay bricks decent enough but have never laid a block so though i would just have a mess around with some first. Once ive got the hang of blocks the plan is to build a single skin garage with them which will be part rendered and part clad so the blockwork doesn't have to be amazing. 

i didnt really want to waste any plasticiser on something that was just going to go in the bin.

25 minutes ago, gaz_moose said:

Once ive got the hang of blocks the plan is to build a single skin garage with them which will be part rendered and part clad so the blockwork doesn't have to be amazing. 

If you can set out for bricks OK, I'd say dive right in then. I think you'll learn little without laying on proper muck (he says, using the vernacular; this stuff is the absolute magic that turns our building units into houses that we can live in rather than being a pile of building materials). You would have to really screw-up to produce something you couldn't get away with after rendering. This time of year 5 or 6 to 1 will take a couple of days before its difficult to clean off - should you look at your previous days efforts and decide to re-do an area. Be super-critical to begin with and eye it up from as many directions as you can. You really don't have to put up with anything you feel uncomfortable with.

6 minutes ago, Brickie said:

Hydrated lime is only for use in conjunction with cement-to make a reusable lime mortar you need NHL (natural hydraulic lime.)

Thanks for this, I kept looking at the post and thinking something must be wrong because it shouldn't be that difficult, completely missed the hydrated/hydraulic ?

Edited by markc

18 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

What on Earth are you doing ???

why the lime??

Do not add washing up liquid!!!

5-1 sand cement or 6-1 sand cement both with proper plasticiser 

if it’s underground 3-1 sand cement. 

And if it’s above ground and will be seen, just pay a bricklayer. 

Lime / sand mix was used when i was on a bricklaying course many many years ago, they used it so it can just be remixed and reused after every session. 

16 hours ago, Radian said:

If you can set out for bricks OK, I'd say dive right in then. 

id normally use the 'pic and dip' method for laying bricks and figured that would not really work for blocks, hence the back to school sessions. 

thanks everyone for the advice.