Paint rusty steel

Porthole

Can I please ask is Hammerite no 1 anti rust beater OK to use on an old steel beam which has signs of rust?

It's still sound and structural engineer said just sand and treat with galvanoid. I can't find galvanoid so just thought I'd get what I could from Screwfix

Thank you 

My wife runs a powder coating business so gets shed loads of stuff galvanised. Havnt used the spray stuff but typically the steel has to be super clean for it to take properly otherwise it peels. They use acid baths to clean new steel and remove any impurities so old steel will be tough to clean for it to work properly.

Just now, joe90 said:

I use hammerite a lot, I find it seals rusty stuff well if applied thick enough (as long as flakey stuff removed), however the new water based stuff is rubbish in my opinion .

Good old fashioned bitumen paint, so long as you don't mind the finish look. Like 'proper' creosote, water based stuff ain't as good unless you really really prep the surface

• Like 1

Basics are.

Remove rust, or remove all loose and convert to something else, with rust converter.

Hamerite isn't that good any more as mentioned.

A galvanizing spray with give the metal a sacrificial costing which will deplete prior to rust coming back.  But sprays go on very thin.  A brush zinc paint like the architect mentioned with give a longer lasting protection.

If you are ok with a dull silver, something like a Rustoleom galvanizing spray, several good coats.  If you want a different colour follow the painting instructions on the tin.  You need a coating that is around 99% zinc.

Or a zinc phosphate based epoxy primer as it bonds well, expensive but good.

1 hour ago, Porthole said:

Can I please ask is Hammerite no 1 anti rust beater OK to use on an old steel beam which has signs of rust?

It's still sound and structural engineer said just sand and treat with galvanoid. I can't find galvanoid so just thought I'd get what I could from Screwfix

Thank you 

Galvafroid , not galvonoid, brilliant stuff, haven’t bought or needed any in years so not sure if you can still get it.

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

On 16/02/2022 at 10:52, JohnMo said:

Hamerite isn't that good any more as mentioned.

I am afraid a disagree . Yes the new water based stuff is pants but the old stuff is still as good as was and I use it a lot on outdoor tractor stuff. I will give this galvafroid a go as well ?

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I am afraid a disagree . Yes the new water based stuff is pants but the old stuff is still as good as was and I use it a lot on outdoor tractor stuff. I will give this galvafroid a go as well ?

That's a confusing response.  You disagree that hamerite in isn't as good as it was, then go on to say the new stuff is pants.

The old stuff will be good - its not the new stuff.  You can't buy it any more unless it's old stock.