Pump leaking

James94

The grandparents have this pump in the loft and it’s leaking, it’s been in about to three years now and not under warranty. They have had the people who originally fitted the pump and they say that this pump is now obsolete it there are alternatives. She spoke to them today and they have told her mid March and will cost £193.( I’ve seen a few on Screwfix 1.5 bar)

Would it be easy enough to replace myself? At the moment I have tuned both inlet  isolators and switched it off at the spur.

I think they have an vented system and this pump feeds hot and cold supply to  a single bathroom .

Regards. James

18F5629F-2F9A-432C-950D-926F597D582E.jpeg

Those things often leak at the motor shaft seals. Almost guaranteed. I was replacing mine every 5 years on average until I fitted a Stuart Turner pump (about 6 years ago ?) so hard to recommend. Easy enough if the tails end up in roughly the same place.

What I would strongly advise is placing the new one in a suitably deep tray (I used a plastic cheese biscuit box) and putting a leak detector alarm in with it. Don't just put it in a tray without the alarm - otherwise it will fill up until the electrics trip!

Thanks for the replies, it’s leaking from the seal, was just a little worried about buying a replacement and it not fitting.

they still do Stuart turner pumps but there are so many to choose from  and I’d hate to help them out and get it wrong. I like the idea of putting it in something to catch any leaks with a leak alarm. Would this be a retro fit or do they come built in ?

Regards. James

Things like this I stick in a tray and if possible runs straight solid pipe out the property or down into a shower tray . Then you’ll see if it’s leaking rather than rely on an alarm ( which may fail ) .

This ‘method ‘ avoided a messy leak once as tenant informed me water was coming out the pipe into the shower tray .

Looks similar to this one:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stuart-turner-showermate-standard-regenerative-twin-shower-pump-1-5bar/543pg

Screwfix would probably let you take it back if it was the wrong size.

I fitted the cheapest one from Screwfix in 2008 I think, it has run faultlessly.  Pumps my shower and bath a treat.

Pipework needs lagging, your inheritance is being lost.

Edited by SteamyTea

Have been looking at this one and yeah hope it will fit but if any issues hopefully they would take it back, there not usually to bad.

I’ll see them tomorrow and ask for some money to get it.

regards. James

And pipes not lagged I’m not even going to go there, loft is a maze with pipes and wasps, so I only go in there if a have to.

That’s not a bad idea, I’ve been looking and found one reduced on tool station, so I think I’ll get it(only two left so don’t won’t to miss out)and prior to fitting I’ll speak to technical for some advice.

Regards. James

Just a quick question, I’m going to speak to technical today. I don’t think there will be a compatibility  issue but better safe than sorry.

should I change the 4flexi pipes too as there in the box with new pump and if so what will I need to do to stop water flow as they have the isolators in? Willi need to add owt to threads?

Regards. James