Resin anchored stud sizing

MarkH

This is an obscure topic but I don't suppose anyone would have an idea of the size of studs we'd need to attach 225x75mm timbers to our walls (using vinylester resin)? The timbers will support joists (also 225x75) spanning 4.8m (on hangers).

I used M12 in the smaller part of our house but I'm wondering if I should size up... 

Oddly our extension calls for almost an identical connection to the existing house - our building warrant drawings show M10 stainless threaded rod at 600mm centres using:

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/products/bonded-anchors/injection-cartridges-systems/polyester-resins/r-kf2/

I would check with your architect or engineer or inspector though.

Edited by Carrerahill

Slightly different but our engineer was happy with 12mm threaded bar (cast into icf concrete) at 600mm centers but our longest span is 6m. We ended putting them in at 400mm centers as the joist is 400mm centers, we are also using the posi joist on the top chord saving using hangers. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

M12 same centres as the joists.  Make sure you don't clash with the hangers or joist ends.  Threaded bar is cheapest.  Make sure you vacuum or brush out the holes properly.

Yeah, best piece of advise when using resin, clean out the hole.

I have seen these fail because muppets drill a hole and then just back fill with resin, it sets up a treat in the powder which is like a release agent!

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Vacuuming the holes out is not the best tbh. I mean it's alright but try it then follow up with a puffer like this and see how much more crap comes out. Puffers a must!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-hole-cleaning-pump/6995f

(My company fits safety harness eyebolts etc btw).

I gaffer a bit of pipe to the end of the vacuum, stick it in the hole and it works a treat.

• Like 1

Been there, tried both. If really stuck you can gaffer tape a resin nozzle onto the hoover end (remove the mixing screw). Some vacs have the option to attach the hose to suck or blow - alternate between the two.

Puffer all day long for me!

The "puffing" in/out action is gentler but dislodges more dust than either I reckon.

I'm sure yours will be fine, it's pretty much all in shear & it's not like your hanging a man off it! :)

Top Customer Reviews

This pump is a joke..and would you be wasting your time trying to blow out debris.
The Pressure that comes out of the nozzle..is NO where near strong enough to even make an impact.

Dont waste your time with this product..as there is a reason why it is so cheap compared to the rest of the higher priced pumps.

You would honestly be better of making use of a Bicycle pump for this matter..
Comment  Was this review helpful to you?  YesNo  Report abuse

By a warren on 14 Jan. 2017
Verified Purchase
Absolutely rubbish, was thrown in the bin after one use, no wonder it's cheap
By Paul on 15 Jun. 2016
Hearing aid puffer and a small piece of plastic tubing. Works wonders !

4 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Bugger:$

My fault entirely! :ph34r: It looked the same 'ish as my Rawl one.

However...go buy yourself the Screwfix one. By way of apology I've just PayPal'd you the money.

I'll probably use my compressor to blow out the holes. Last time - with no compressor or puffer thing to hand - I used a toothbrush attached to a drill whilst hosing water down the holes, they were very clean afterwards. I was using vinylester resin so a moist hole wasn't an issue.

3 minutes ago, MarkH said:

I'll probably use my compressor to blow out the holes. Last time - with no compressor or puffer thing to hand - I used a toothbrush attached to a drill whilst hosing water down the holes, they were very clean afterwards. I was using vinylester resin so a moist hole wasn't an issue.

A moist hole is generally always better I find! ;)

Seriously, going way, way back I'm pretty sure there was something we got from Rawlplug about it. We were fixing anchors in the soffits of a building in Norwich and there were leaks around the windows. It's all blurry now but sure they said that moisture wouldn't effect it and possibly even enhanced the cure.

All I can say is TFI all the above are in shear! xD Spend a tenner FFS! 

Many years ago my mate was doing his extension. Back then we were as green as and it was all glass break resin capsules "mixed" with hex head, chisel pointed studs in a pistol drill. He ran out despite calculating the number and even though we could get them for free ;). Realising that they were just dropping straight down the cavity newspaper was duly rolled up and balled then shoved in the holes. Having to get the angles on, joists in and boarded ready for the plasterer it transpired that a big tub of Isopon car body filler worked just as well. BCO was happy as he hung on the RSA to check!

• 3 weeks later...