Canopy support

Moggaman

Hi. U would like some advice please. I have a canopy section on the front of my house. It overhangs but about 1.2m. See photo. It is not supported at the moment because in all likelihood it doesn’t need it. It is a 7m long 7x2 rafter supported at wall plate level and further up by steel beams. So I am looking at putting in a column for the look and to prevent any possible sagging in that area over time . I am looking at bringing up a 4x4 galvanised box iron(3mm thinkness) and across that a 4x2 box iron birds mouthed into the rafter, mortared into the wall on on side and bolted to the Column on the other. The span will be around 3.7m.

I am wondering will a box irons section 3mm wall thinkness sag over 3.7m ? And are the wall thickness of both ok.

Like I said , the roof is build, these will slot in under it..

thanks

ACD7A007-580E-46FF-9877-FD6DFD9FA277.png

image.jpg

Feel free to consult a SE as I am not one, but I don't think that needs any support whatsoever.

The weight on the rafter across its length means any sagging will be in the middle of the roof, so if anything it will be pulling the end of your overhang UPWARDS with that ratio of cantilever...

If you want a column for aesthetics, just whack one on there but I don't think you need any structural support or beam/lintel across the ends (might just want to put a fascia board/timber on to finish the ends off).

I would strongly suspect 4x2 3mm wall steel (not iron) over 3m will sag quite a bit with it laying flat.

6 or 8mm wall would be better, the calculations would have to be done for wind and and snow loading etc.

But it needs to be designed.

If you want a post for aesthetic purposes put one in without the other box sections.

as mentioned previously 100x50 laid flat will deflect under its own weight so pointless.

even with a big snow load I can’t see any problem with what you already have so post should be fine on it’s own.

Edited by markc