Painted internal window cills/boards - what material to choose

Adsibob

For most rooms in our house, we're just going to have painted window cills internally. If I can still afford to get something better, I want to stay clear of MD. What is the next step up? Pine? If so, what's the disadvantage of a softwood such as pine in this situation? Would i be better going for something harder like tulipwood?

Can anyone recommend any good value suppliers?

Just now, Roundtuit said:

If you're painting it, I'm not sure what benefit there is of using anything other than mdf.  I'd expect softwood to be less stable and prone to twist or warp, and hardwood seems over-spec'd.

I was thinking exactly the same but thought I might be showing myself up saying so I’m glad you spoke up first! ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

If you're painting it, I'm not sure what benefit there is of using anything other than mdf. 

Cheap MDF leaks toxins. Although it only affects a small proportion of the market, very difficult to know what you are getting:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/feb/09/mdf-furniture-toxic-fumes-formaldehyde

8 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

parana pine is endangered

Yes not even sure you can get it anymore in the UK. You could substitute something like Southern Yellow Pine - pretty knot free and great when just oiled - but not for painting. You can see the sort of range of most possible solid woods and board sizes here: https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/solid-timber/sawn-boards

1 hour ago, markc said:

If it’s to be painted then MDF, seal all edges and faces prior to install, not just the visible ones. Same if using ply.

Yeh this 100%. It will do the job perfectly well and will allow you to focus attention on other more important aspects of your project.

The stuff about MDF leaching toxins is going a bit far, and once sealed on all edges and painted, it's fine.

If you use any other material (as in timber) and want to paint it, you'll need to ensure the moisture content is 10% max, otherwise you may see movement over time. 

Edited by Makeitstop
  • Like 1