Seeking FD30 Doors in traditional designs

Paene Finitur

I'm trying to source some traditional looking doors for my build for the ground floor hallway. I was hoping to get a couple of 840mm x 199mm half glazed Downham style doors with frosted glass and I also have to get a 1680mm x 199mm double glazed door from hallway to kitchen.

The problem is that I'd like these to be quite traditional styles which would be no problem if they didn't also have to be fire doors (FD30). I've found the range of residential glazed fire-doors really very  restrictive (not to mention horrendously expensive!)

Can anyone recommend a supplier who has a decent range of traditional designs for glazed FD30 doors? 

Following with interest. I’m finding the same issue, and unless one goes bespoke, I’m finding the only way is to purchase a FD30 which is sufficiently similar that it could be added to to make it look like the style you are going for. So in your case you could buy a plain door with a light in it, then add the four glazing bars onto the door. Not ideal, but i haven’t found any manufacturers doing this, other than an American based outfit, which does not comply to the same FD regs as the UK.

9 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Having glazing in FD30 is difficult as it needs to hold together.  Wired glass does not look pretty.  The glazing bars will not last 30 minutes.

But I don’t think that matters. The door will still prevent a fire from passing through it for 30 mins, even if the glazing bar on the side of the fire burns quickly.

Thankyou for asking this as I have learnt something.

I was close to saying that glazed fire doors all come with wired glass in  a small pane, but found this page. https://www.todd-doors.co.uk/fire-doors/internal/glazed

I don't think you will like the price, but I'm not surprised, as I have no idea how they make these big panels survive the furnace test.

I thought that at least they would need a solid bottom half to allow a fireman to sneak up on the door. I checked to see if they were foreign, but it is  a British supplier.

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

But I don’t think that matters. The door will still prevent a fire from passing through it for 30 mins, even if the glazing bar on the side of the fire burns quickly.

No as I imagine the glass will break and the thin glazing beads will burn away.

It is possible to get fire resisting glass but it is expensive and you would need larger section special glazing beads.

Thanks very much for all the replies. I'd already come across some of these doors so it's reassuring to know that I'm not completely off-track.

It's a shame that obscured/opaque glass seems to be an extremely limited option. I'd actually be quite happy with wired glass, in the right door (like I said, I am a bit picky) but unless I go bespoke (££££) that seems a very limited option. It's a great shame that there's this two tier system for existing houses and new-builds which seems to result in an extremely limited market for FD30 doors (and pushes up the prices) I understand it but I don't like it! ?

In any case - thanks again for all your responses and please keep them coming, for posterity as much as anything else! ?

21 minutes ago, Paene Finitur said:

It's a shame that obscured/opaque glass seems to be an extremely limited option.

That’s easy to solve. Buy FD30 with clear glass, then after you get your certificate from BC, add some opaque film to one side of the glass.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paene Finitur said:

extremely limited market for FD30 doors (and pushes up the prices

They are sold in huge numbers, but it is very difficult to pass the furnace test so local companies can't make them.

I have attended a furnace test and the heat on the 'outside' is worryingly

unpleasant, while the glass cracks and wood on the inside burns.

I'm still surprised at these big panes and was hoping someone knew and could explain how they pass, when other doors only have small panes.

On 12/01/2022 at 00:00, Adsibob said:

even if the glazing bar on the side of the fire burns quickly.

If I recall, behind the bead the glass is set in a fire resisting channel so the timber bit doesn't matter.

38 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I'm still surprised at these big panes and was hoping someone knew and could explain how they pass, when other doors only have small panes.

Fire resistant glass.  Tempered and often laminated with a clear intumescent layer.  Expensive.

12 hours ago, Adsibob said:

That’s easy to solve. Buy FD30 with clear glass, then after you get your certificate from BC, add some opaque film to one side of the glass.

True. I wondered whether (how) the addition of opaque film would change the fire resisting properties of the door. I'm sure BC wouldn't like it.

1 hour ago, Paene Finitur said:

the addition of opaque film would change the fire resisting properties of the door. I'm sure BC wouldn't like it.

I'm sure it will melt off in seconds, and be of no consequence but can't prove it. BCOs want to see a certificate.

If you are buying a £700 door you would expect some help from the manufacturer.

• 1 month later...

I got my doors from FSN (https://www.fsndoors.co.uk) not the cheapest but we were particular about the aesthetic so was one place we were not as budget sensitive.

Every door that opens onto the hall in basement, GF, FF and room in roof needed to be FD30. One of these has a large glazed panel (1.6m x .65m) and it was not cheap but entirely do-able.