Floorboard Saw

Ferdinand

I need to raise a significant number of T&G floorboards vintage 1966.

Can anyone point me at an appropriate small powersaw (prob. Makita)?

There is plumbing beneath so a jigsaw would be risky.

Thanks

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I have been impressed by this mini circular plunge saw bought from Lidl for £49.99, 85mm dia blade, 25mm max depth cut. Useful bit of kit for a DIYer because of it's size and price with a 3-year warranty!

LIDL%20plunge%20saw%201_zpsmdfupgr2.jpg

https://www.lidl.de/de/parkside-tauchsaege-pts-500-a1/p218569

This Worx at Wickes is a similar size and price:-

http://www.wickes.co.uk/WORX-350W-85mm-Classic-Worx-Saw-WX422/p/142292?CAWELAID=120135120001211619&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=37524968332&CATCI=pla-75918350782&gclid=CPfh4c3ks9MCFcWVGwodj-8AyA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by MAB

In my first house, an 1863 terrace, my Dad & I were removing old gas pipes etc from under the suspended floor when I came across a mass of BURNT BONES!

I put them in a black sack and dumped them on the counter at the local cop shop. The duty officer took one look and the CID were there within seconds ushering me into an interview room.

Long shot is they asked if I would be OK if they took up ALL the downstairs floorboards and were there within a couple of hours mob handed.

We weren't living there at the time but it was pretty funny when the then girlfriend (now missus) popped in after shopping to see how I was getting on! :)

One CID lad asked if I'd found a skull yet. When I said I hadn't he suggested he might be able to supply one as he needed the OT.

Happy times!

Forgot to add that having the floor up meant rewiring was a doddle. Upshot of the bones was that they were deemed too old to warrant further investigation. Seems infanticide wasn't uncommon back then.

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, MAB said:

I have been impressed by this mini circular plunge saw bought from Lidl for £49.99, 85mm dia blade, 25mm max depth cut. Useful bit of kit for a DIYer because of it's size and price with a 3-year warranty!

LIDL%20plunge%20saw%201_zpsmdfupgr2.jpg

https://www.lidl.de/de/parkside-tauchsaege-pts-500-a1/p218569

If it's anywhere as good as the Parkside multi tool it's a steal.

• Like 1

Thanks.

@Nickfromwales There is a floating floor going on top. We are taking up Over several rooms to verify what is underneath e.g. Cables and to insulate with rock wool.

Can anyone comment on the handling difference between an 85mm circular saw and a 165mm circular saw?

If I needed to I could justify something medium-expensive since I could be doing several similar renovations over the next 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

In my first house, an 1863 terrace, my Dad & I were removing old gas pipes etc from under the suspended floor when I came across a mass of BURNT BONES!

I put them in a black sack and dumped them on the counter at the local cop shop. The duty officer took one look and the CID were there within seconds ushering me into an interview room.

Long shot is they asked if I would be OK if they took up ALL the downstairs floorboards and were there within a couple of hours mob handed.

We weren't living there at the time but it was pretty funny when the then girlfriend (now missus) popped in after shopping to see how I was getting on! :)

One CID lad asked if I'd found a skull yet. When I said I hadn't he suggested he might be able to supply one as he needed the OT.

Happy times!

Need some bones to put under my floor to get the coppers to lift it. Any volunteers to be topped? Or "Ello Ella Ello Have you seen our Planning officer?"

Ferdinand

Smaller blades can be "steered" easier than larger blades however set at 22mm or whatever the depth is you won't have that much blade showing anyway. 

I usually rip straight down the tongue and cut the board at 45 degrees across so when it drops back in the loose bit doesn't have to sit on a joist. 

(Sorry about the strange formatting)

Thanks all, so it looks like an inexpensive option from Argos@£70:

Worx 400 Watt Plunge WorxSaw - which is a more powerful version of the one above:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2276980?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|cid:189934405|agid:18091936165|tid:aud-144400486596:pla-96719255845|crid:77627771125|nw:g|rnd:7569497862283719467|dvc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuOHHBRDmvsHs8PukyIQBEiQAlEMW0OcopBoqJ6sQO8AKlF_-34CDzwbG7Grt0WnkeU14BcwaAiDo8P8HAQ#reviews

or one of these from Makita as a cordless posh option 85mm disk @Approx £150:

Makita HS301DWAE Circular Saw 85mm 10.8V CXT Cordless Li-ion with 2 x 2.0Ah Batteries, Charger and Carry Case
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=72544
(Unfortunately 10.8v battery)

or the cordless 18v battery larger 165mm disk version from Makita at £140 body only or £270 with batteries and a case

https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/makita-dss610rmj-18v-circular-saw-with-2x-4-0ah-li-ion-batteries-supplied-in-makpac-case-pid45127.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwuOHHBRDmvsHs8PukyIQBEiQAlEMW0EzAp9UG5rDj-O0ytu8ajS9oyvISC3l-j7r8N0UAQFUaAlGq8P8HAQ

There is also a cordless from Bosch, but I think II am swinging towards the 165mm cordless Makita for the greater range of uses and batteries which fit other tools.

Or there is something like *this*, which gives me a drill, impact driver and recip saw as well for £500. But I think DSS are the old range.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dlx4088mx1-18v-4-0ah-li-ion-cordless-4-piece-power-tool-kit/1872r

Can anyone give me a sanity check on which Makita batteries would be most broadly useable. Do I really need 5 or 6Ah?

Need to decide today.

Cheers

Ferdinand.

Edited by Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

3Ah are fine - those chargers are 30 min rapid charge on most of the newer LiOn range from Makita. 

For decent deals also have a look at FFX.co.uk

Are 3Ah OK even for a circular saw?

Which batteries are the newer range? O.o

Edited by Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Are 3Ah OK even for a circular saw?

Which batteries are the newer range? O.o

LXT are the new batteries. And I think the point of having more batteries rather than fewer larger ones means you have shorter charge cycles anyway so you can swap and change. 

I prefer cutting sheet material and boards iin situ with my 85mm saw as it seems easier to handle, plunge cut if needed and steer straight 'freehand' along a line without using any guides when compared with a larger circular saw. Also as has been mentioned less kickback potential, etc.

Also seen this B&Q version below but it only a 20mm max depth cut.....as said I only have experience of the Parkside Lidl 'cheap' tool which has exceeded my expectations for the price and is often used in preference to my conventional larger saw.

http://www.diy.com/departments/mac-allister-400w-mini-saw-mems400/587920_BQ.prd

I've got 4ah Makita batteries and see no need to go any bigger. It makes the tool heavier anyway. I go whole days without charging them, if it's just drill and driver use, although the saw and the grinder make more of a dent.

I would probably have been better off with three smaller batteries instead of the two 4ah ones that I have- the other day I was doing a job that needed the saw, the drill, and the driver, and had to keep swapping a battery over

LXT Makita Pricing appears to be complicated :-).

Combi drill plus Circular Saw plus 4x 4.0ah batteries plus Twin Charger plus 3 hard cases is 499 at £FFX

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Makita-Dlx2140Pmj-0088381817332-4X4.0Ah-Li-Ion-18Vx2-Lxt-Combo-Kit#FullDescription

Combi drill plus Circular Saw plus Impact Driver plus Recip Saw plus Angle Grinder plus a Worklight plus  3x 5.0Ah batteriies plus Twin Charger is £700 at FFX.

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Makita-Dlx6044Pt-0088381813099-18V-3X5.0Ah-Lxt-6-Piece-Kit-Twin-Port-Charger?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2-bHBRDEh6qk5b6yqKIBEiQAFUz29rVZIEnKKyvRkGktRR_J2ruvZJekBFVZ5_tffQbrRHwaAiyc8P8HAQ

So that is an Impact Driver, a Recip Saw, an Angle Grinder and a Worklight for £200 if I can live with the batteries.

Hmm. Spreadsheet Required.

Ferdinand

I've only just seen this thread.  Back on Ebuild, when my trusty old 140mm (?) Black and Decker circular saw burned out, just as I was finishing laying the bamboo flooring, someone there (who's probably here now) recommended the 165mm cordless Makita.  I already had battery packs (all 3 Ah ones) and a charger, so I bought just the bare saw. 

I can say that it's the very best circular saw I've owned, light and easy to use, and powerful enough to do surprisingly heavy work.  The two slight downsides are that it's cack-handed, with the larger bed to the right, rather than the left.  Not a major issue, it has just taken a bit of getting used to, as all the other saws I've had have been the other way around.  The other slight downside is that it is a bit heavy on batteries.  Luckily I have five 3Ah packs, so pretty much always have a couple of charged spares.  If I only had a single pack for the saw then I think it would be quite limiting.

On the topic of ebay battery packs, I bought a pack of two non-Makita packs from a German seller, maybe the same one that @Crofter used.  They have been every bit as good as the genuine Makita packs, for less than half the price.

Edited by JSHarris

The new batteries have charge indicators on them. A little button and 4 LEDs to show how much juice is in it. 

Also seriously consider going brushless, ( induction motors ) as they wear, and seem to operate, far better. Less chance of 'burning' them out too. 

Live just upgraded from the old 165m makita to the brushless one ( complete with onboard battery indicator ) and it's far better. 

Unless you see yourself using the recip and grinder a lot I'd just buy the circular saw, case, chart and batteries ( 2x 4.0ah are plenty, I think the 5&6's are way OTT tbh ) and then just buy a 2-speed combi drill for general drilling / screwing etc. When an impact comes up cheap, naked, then add that if so required. 

I have a 2-speed 18v makita combi drill / driver I could let go of you are ok with used ?