Warm roof or Cold roof

Chanmenie

Hi Guy's

Am in the process of getting designs and quotes for my roof / attic trusses, assuming i don't have any restrictions with ridge height,

should I go for warm roof with insulation over and between rafters or a cold roof with between and under.

From the research i have done it appears warm roof is the most desirable as it removes the cold bridge of the rafters.

But I would be very interested in your experiences 

For me, definitely warm roof. 

But as you are having room in roof (attic trusses) I would go one further, don't use attic trusses but use a cut roof suspended from a ridge beam.  That is so much easier to detail air tightness ans means any eaves storage space or service space is inside the insulated and air tight envelope of the building.  I still maintain that was our best design choice.

Cold roof here but following tyveks Sealed roof guidance. Thermal bypass is a problem otherwise. 

tyvek-image-1.jpg.ddac2c4a0a00928de8db6219b4235512.jpg

Trussed roof with raided heals aka Denby Dale. 400mm of blown cellulose over the top.

0e9275528ae04541f4652b8a09ea45cf.jpg.6443e5e09a8d4b721919b45c077a5d3d.jpg

Pros: Minimal thermal bridging and smaller surface area for heat loss. Very very simple to run a membrane and service cavity under the trusses. Cheaper. 

Cons:  you can hear the roofing membrane in the wind as it billows. Only works really for a non habitable roof space so perhaps not for you.

Edited by Iceverge

Like @ProDave I think warm roof like I have is easier to make airtight, and I also didn’t use trusses but a cut roof from i joists full filled with insulation then lined with OSB bubbly glued to create a sealed surface, this insulation extends seamlessly with the same insulation within the cavity ?.

Thanks for the replies guy’s, so we are in agreement that warm roof is the way to go,

but I don’t get how a cut roof is easier to detail for air tightness than trusses.

@prodave is it any more difficult to insulate all the the way to the eves with trusses ? 
I was certainly planning to fully insulate so the voids are within the insulated airtight envelope as.my MVHR  manifolds and pipes will be in the voids 

With trusses, you have various bits of wood, typically with a loft truss forming the wall of the dwarf wall, and then a diagonal between.

IF you are trying to make a proper air tight house, then you will be trying to sheet the whole of the inside with an air tight membrane with all joints taped. So what do you do?  Take the air tight membrane following the roof line right down to the eaves and cut and tape around every single timber that sticks out from the roof line on each truss?  A lot oif hard work to get it right.

A cut roof hung from a ridge beam has single rafters from ridge to eaves with nothing else.  One nice flat surface to tape and seal, and then you build up the dwarf wall structure inside the sealed envelope.

• Like 1

+1 If building again I would go for a warm roof with most of the insulation above the rafters. 

Downside - long fixings needed. Builders don't have experience.

Upside - much easier to make the insulation layer airtight (no gaps)

Will need counter battens under the tile battens.