Bathroom Furniture/Suite Supplier Recommendations

Matt60

Hi,

This is giving me a real headache, the kitchen was easy, sent the MAG design to DIY kitchens - done. The bathrooms are proving more difficult...

The "design" service I have received from MKM builders merchant has been laughable and the one from Graham Plumbers Merchant is non-existent.

I've come up with my own basic layout designs and just need a recommendation of a good place to buy all the brand name components. My plumber has recommended Plumb Centre (Wollesley) but they do not have much choice. The same plumber also warned me about online companies as he's experienced a lot of damaged items and delays - makes sense. 

I'd like Ideal Standard AquaBlade toilets, ceramic sinks and Mira Flight shower trays. I'd also like a decent choice of vanity units for the sink and loo's to back on to. Lots seem a gloss finish, who wants gloss finish in their bathroom, I'm guessing not those with children and who work full-time... 

Any recommendations would be gratefully received. 

Thanks,

Matt.

Prices vary so much on a day to day basis, I got a mix of local bathroom showroom ex display and various internet suppliers. You need to shop around. Wolseley, unless your lucky can be super expensive.  Also Screwfix and Toolstation can be worth a look.

• Like 1

Pre-Brexit I bought all the sanitary & brassware for a complete house renovation (2 bathrooms & a cloakroom) & an en-suite extension, both from Reuter Bad in Germany. It has an enormous range, the prices were competitive, the communication great, the delivery faultless….. Post-Brexit they now don’t deliver the the UK. 
Our new home was due to be started around the time we left the EU so I planned to do the same before our glorious leaders closed the stable door & put it in storage. As I was about to push buy the January sales started so I checked with CP Hart the costs of the sanitary ware as I thought transport costs from Germany might outweigh any savings for these items. Much to my surprise they price-matched the Germans! 
If I was buying now I would check products & prices on Reuter & Megabad & use them as benchmarks for the UK. 
Our local showroom also price-matched some on-line shops so don’t ignore them. 

There is a company called bathroombydesign which is quite reasonable for supplying most branded stuff at a discount, but you have to ask for a discount, and then when they give you the discounted price, so for a further discount.

I didn’t use their design service, but it is probably reasonable.

You can also design yourself, by observing a few guidelines:

- avoid placing toilets opposite doorways

- make sure showering areas are spacious, smaller than 800 by 1000 not recommended, bigger is better

- remember that if a wall hung toilet goes on a solid external wall, you will need to build that wall out to contain the frame

- pay attention to matching finishes

- don’t skimp on brassware

- if installing a free standing bath tub, make sure you have plenty of space around it, as they don’t look good right up against a wall

• 11 months later...