Condensation and 3G windows

Russdl

An update some 12+ months on:

Here’s a picture of ice formation on the outside of our windows, I think it looks quite striking. 

2F8AC37A-AFC8-471C-AAFD-544616CD9BC1.thumb.jpeg.67e8ed86c455e826560eab4566248a31.jpeg

What is not so nice is the condensation along the bottom on the inside. 

The house has had another year to dry out (it wasn’t ‘wet’ anyway despite the assertions of some). The internal temperature is 19.5o and the external temperature is -4.5o I’m sure it must have something to do with our enthalpy heat exchanger but as it only happens when it’s well into the minus figures outside we’ll live with it. 

20 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Here’s a picture of ice formation on the outside of our windows, I think it looks quite striking. 

2F8AC37A-AFC8-471C-AAFD-544616CD9BC1.thumb.jpeg.67e8ed86c455e826560eab4566248a31.jpeg

The house has had another year to dry out (it wasn’t ‘wet’ anyway despite the assertions of some). The internal temperature is 19.5o and the external temperature is -4.5o I’m sure it must have something to do with our enthalpy heat exchanger but as it only happens when it’s well into the minus figures outside we’ll live with it. 

Is it just that window, or every window that you have condensation inside (when outside temp is as per you describe)?

@Stones this morning and other cold mornings it’s pretty much every window. The worst was the en-suite which can be put down to me for having a shower in the evening and not putting the MVHR on boost. The photo is of the kitchen/dining window. Biggest room in the house and no cooking activity since mid afternoon yesterday. 

It is very surprising. Our triple glazed warmcore windows relatively recently fitted in our current unheated utility room have no condensation. It is not really cold but certainly coldest in the house. RH is also very high in there and has been for months. Only time the frames and glass got a little on them was with the internal door shut and me working in there for hours getting a little sweaty. As the extract duct is currently sealed the air has got no where to go apart from the floor to wall junction holes/gaps still not sealed. 

Our bedroom on the other hand these past few nights has been awful but it is a very poorly fitted, poor performing aluminium framed large window on a stone cill and the window is not set in to the reveal so a massive cold bridge no doubt. 

Edited by j_s

On 18/01/2023 at 08:15, Russdl said:

Those houseplants trapped behind the curtains will create the condensation on the inside of that window.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MDC said:

Those houseplants trapped behind the curtains will create the condensation on the inside of that window.

I’m sure they don’t help but the condensation forms on all windows, some without houseplants, some without curtains.