Solar PV and Heat pumps - the economics

MYLOUBYLOU

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

To put it into perspective, I have so far only exported 290kWh

You are not typical though, you try your hardest not to export.

How much would you have got if you had exported half your generation.

And how much more would that have been if you lived in Cornwall, or East Anglia.

52 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

You are not typical though, you try your hardest not to export.

He didn't say he was typical ;)  This thread is demonstrating what CAN be done in light of the now-evaporated FiT scheme, eg so people here know what others like Dave are doing to 'work around it'. ?

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

He didn't say he was typical ;)  This thread is demonstrating what CAN be done in light of the now-evaporated FiT scheme, eg so people here know what others like Dave are doing to 'work around it'. ?

On the flip side of what CAN be done, I have just approaching 1 year with our 8kWp array with MCS plus octopus outgoing, I've only done basic measures to optimize self-usage (immersion redirect, running white goods at midday).

Generated 6340 kWh

Exported 3400 kWh

Export payments: £187

Money saved via reduced imports £588 (assume 20p/unit )

= £775 /pa payback

System cost £16000 (GB Sol RIS)

Payback ~= 20 years

As domestic energy prices outstrip inflation, that time will reduce. If I can add a battery then it may reduce further.

(As others have said, the motivation for us was not overwhelmingly financial gain, so just sharing this for illustrative purposes)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As we're sharing data...

I self-installed a 5.2kWp array with a 3.68kWp inverter at the end of May. I put in a HW diverter and have no FIT (or MCS cert). I also have E7 so use that to charge the PHEV and run dishwasher to try and push major consumption overnight (because consumption would be greater than my solar is guaranteed to produce and having the dishes clean in the morning is handy! 

I've just installed 2 big 3phase heat pumps so now considering doing the other 2 phases with 3.68kWp arrays as well. My electrical bill will be heading significantly north in the near future once I run my oil tank down.

Since the first of May my consumption has been:

Consumed 4.1MWh (ouch)

Solar Produced 2.96MWh (minus the export this has avoided £453)

Solar Export 901kWh (I've effectively 'lost' £198.22 or been nice and given it away)

We're coming into winter so I've had the best moths an I can't accurately extrapolate across a full year yet but assuming I get to an avoided cost of around £600 pa (seems reasonable) then my payback will be less than 6 years. The kit was more like £3.5k by the time I'd bought all the bits and the kit new. I could have done better on that as others have.

One of the "disappointments" of our build was the inability to get PV registered on the FIT scheme without an EPC and the inability to get an EPC until the house is complete.  And further in spite of trying the inability to get anyone to write an exemption letter to claim the FIT with an exemption.  Had FIT been possible the ground mount PV would have been installed as soon as the site had a supply and the static caravan was sited.

I then watched the FIT rates fall, and then the FIT end before I could meet the criteria to sign up, which was a major frustration, and for some time i pondered whether to go ahead or not and I am glad I did but also glad it was very cheap to do.

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

One of the "disappointments" of our build was the inability to get PV registered on the FIT scheme without an EPC and the inability to get an EPC until the house is complete.

going through this with our build but with the ASHP. there's no way we'll get the house finished by end of march in order to the EPC to get the RHI payments. it's a shame but there's not a lot I can do now. I guess I could throw money at the build and try and get it done quicker but then that'll end up costing more than any RHI payments I would get back! 

On 22/11/2021 at 17:10, Thorfun said:

going through this with our build but with the ASHP. there's no way we'll get the house finished by end of march in order to the EPC to get the RHI payments. it's a shame but there's not a lot I can do now. I guess I could throw money at the build and try and get it done quicker but then that'll end up costing more than any RHI payments I would get back! 

What is your DEPC showing you’ll achieve? 

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Then your RHI payments will buy a few rounds of drinks. They’re based on your heating ‘needs’ so payments will be in the gutter. 

ok. then I'm not really losing anything so no need to bust a gut to get finished by end of march!

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

ok. then I'm not really losing anything so no need to bust a gut to get finished by end of march!

But you may have "wasted" some money by choosing an MCS installer (needed for RHI) compared to just the local plumber and electrician.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

But you may have "wasted" some money by choosing an MCS installer (needed for RHI) compared to just the local plumber and electrician.

maybe, but I am having one company do the ASHP, MVHR and Solar PV/Battery so it's all under one roof. less hassle for, probably, more cost.

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

maybe, but I am having one company do the ASHP, MVHR and Solar PV/Battery so it's all under one roof. less hassle for, probably, more cost.

Always a tax to pay when convenience shopping though ;) Good that they’re covering everything though, so a silver lining to any RHI clouds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Always a tax to pay when convenience shopping though ;) Good that they’re covering everything though, so a silver lining to any RHI clouds. 

yep, agreed. but I can't do it all on my own and have to pick and choose my battles. these were one I was happy to get someone else to coordinate.

• Like 1