Door opening gaps

Vijay

Just trying to work out a few internal door positions and wondered what the minimum working gap would be when a door opens against a wall. I'm thinking about 150-200mm to allow a gap for the door handle too?

I've just looked over my plans and there's no consistency on the gaps, they range from 50mm to 375mm downstairs.....................

Cheers

Vijay

Edited by Vijay

Hi Jamie,

Not bothered about them being uniformed either, I just wondered if there was a minimum cos once a handle is on, want it to at least be open 90 degrees so you don't catch the handle while walking through ;)

So I've blocked all of our door frames at 900mm min. That means an 838mm door leaves an 800mm clear opening when fully open. Door linings are 30mm, architrave is 45mm or so and that's about the same as an average door handle so if you can get a door and architrave in then you should get to 90 degrees

You also need to think about damage when opening the door or if Tearaway Timmy from Timbuctooth is playing at going into saloons like The Man with No Name.

I quite like either small plastic nipples, e.g. Mini stick on feet, just where the handle will touch, or a doorstop on the floor or a kerbooiiinggg! doorstop on the skirting, or stick on wedges for the floor.

The stick on feet are the most discreet.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

You need to consider getting architrave around the frame and a nice gap around that also, I would consider a door that only opens 90 degrees to be inadequate, but it seems to be standard practice I have spent ages altering our architects drawings to allow a larger reveal at the sides. 

10mm of frame showing, 75mm architrave 75mm of nice border to frame the opening, so 160  door lining to corner. 

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

You need to consider getting architrave around the frame and a nice gap around that also, I would consider a door that only opens 90 degrees to be inadequate, but it seems to be standard practice I have spent ages altering our architects drawings to allow a larger reveal at the sides. 

10mm of frame showing, 75mm architrave 75mm of nice border to frame the opening, so 160  door lining to corner. 

Sorry - that's what I mean - sometime the architrave buts up against the wall where it's near a corner. so 100mm I suppose, giving a 90degree opening. 

In three cases we can't do much about it since the openings are cut in a 450mm concrete wall and I ain't going down that route :)