Progress so far

Hi all

ive not been on the forum for a while

As you know we broke ground in November

The two double garages went up pretty quick the help of a labourer  I soon had them roofed in

Somewhere dry for storage at last

Christmas so us up to chamber Myself and my wife spent most of Christmas putting the I joists in and the 8x2 joists for the orangery We just managed to get floored out in time for the brickys return from holiday

The brickys offered to help us man handle the twelve mtr trusses up

The following day a friend and I and the brickys labourer set the roof out

I went in the following day to make the valleys up and finish the gable restraints

Next my wife and I spent two days felting and battening Then the 4000 slates

We had intended getting someone in But the quotes were ridiculous All wanted me to get the slates up there prior to there arrival

So we decided to do the slating a lead work ourselves

All went well apart from rain virtually every day

Myself and my son made fast work of fitting most of the windows

Then last weekend the scaffold was dropped and rebuilt on Monday

The forecast was good for last week So my son and myself made a start on the K rend

Three days so us complete one side and all of the front Ive prepped the chimney and remaining gable

and should get them complete tomorrow and rubbed up on Tuesday

Well that's about were we are up to

Ive lots of photos Perhaps should have posted as we went along

But with working full time and working on the at nights and weekends

I tend to nod off when I eventually arrive home

regards     Gary

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Triassic said:

A very nice looking job. How long did it take to fit the slate roof?

We hired a conveyer belt and myself and son spent a day loading

Then over the next three weeks myself and my wife had eight days and I had a day doing the lead around the chimney and two 6 mtr valleys

We then had half a day fitting the dry ridge which was easy Apart from I didn't want to risk damageing the newly laid slate

so I asked my wife to fix them while I pushed them along the ridge behind her

All eight stone of her

One of the quotes was 8500 labour 25% waste We had 520 slates that were bowed Which I returned and was credited for I presume slaters would count these as waste Quite surprised as these were grade 1

Looks great and the stonework on the house is lovely.  Well done to the missus - it does annoy me when we watch the self build programmes and the man does all the work while the woman looks on.  She can push a wheel barrow at least, even if she isnt very handy at DIY. We may not be able to do as much as the chaps but we can have a go and help out.  So well done Mrs Nod.:D Its great to see that we can hold our own on these builds.

The OH has even acknowledged that I may come in useful occassionally in the last couple of weeks when I have pointed out the error in his plans!  Like reminding him that we still had to add noggins to a stud wall, just before he was about to run cables up and into the ceiling...... He siad he was just testing to see if I spotted his deliberate error¬¬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

Well done to the missus - it does annoy me when we watch the self build programmes and the man does all the work while the woman looks on.

Wendy has helped me with every aspect of the build including felting the roof, which she really didn't like doing, in the strong wind!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

Looks great and the stonework on the house is lovely.  Well done to the missus - it does annoy me when we watch the self build programmes and the man does all the work while the woman looks on.  She can push a wheel barrow at least, even if she isnt very handy at DIY. We may not be able to do as much as the chaps but we can have a go and help out.  So well done Mrs Nod.:D Its great to see that we can hold our own on these builds.

The OH has even acknowledged that I may come in useful occassionally in the last couple of weeks when I have pointed out the error in his plans!  Like reminding him that we still had to add noggins to a stud wall, just before he was about to run cables up and into the ceiling...... He siad he was just testing to see if I spotted his deliberate error¬¬

Thank you

I can relate to what Peter says My wife didn't like heights but helped me felt the garages Then volunteered to felt the house and was itching to have a go at the slating

I did all the cuts for the valleys and Deborah fixed the slates in place

• Like 1