Screwing up

jamiehamy

I'm posting this because they are SOOOOO bad I don't want anyone else to go through the pain. 

Screw fix own brand Collated screws are mince.  We set out with around 15,000 Technofast screws and were doing fine using the Senco. Started to run out and bought Easyfix from Screwfix which I don't recall any issue with.  Then i got 3packs of Screw fix own brand screws. What a mistake.  They are harder to drive in.  The frequently mis-drive,  I've no idea how that's possible. And the plastic magazine thing gets stuck in the gun mechanism everyone unless you remember to kink it after ten screws - which when you're doing a run is easy to forget to do.  

We've got a couple of packs left,  other half has the same issue with them so not just me.  Thinking of binning them they are that annoying.  

There. Off my chest.  

2 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

I think all the packs have been opened now but just wanted to warn others!  ;-) My Screwfix branch are great too,  they probably would take them back if I asked.  Did you hear that @Construction Channel

Yeah I heard it. Take a box back with one strip left in it and tell them how disappointed you are. 

In this case @jamiehamy is well within his rights to take them back.

The comment about taking the last strip back though made me laugh. When I was at university I worked in a supermarket. We had one customer who was constantly at it, the management used to hide when he came in. He would buy a big pack of something and then bring the last one back looking for a "refund and replace". I remember him getting 24 oranges to replace the last 1 of a 12 pack. A few stores in the area had banned him. This is the kind of idiot who ruins good customer service for reasonable people.

• Like 1

Friend of mine was on Customer Servies at Sainsbury, she had someone bring back a toilet roll that was miss wound (you know the ones, you get 1 ply and your finger pokes through).

Not only did they have to refund the multipack, they paid her taxi fare as well.

I think they changed policy after that, as when I took some oranges I bought the night before back (they had gone mouldy), it took 20 minutes to get my £1.69 back.

Hardly ever shopped at Sainsbury since.

After seeing what some people ask for I have become more insistent when the retailer is clearly in the wrong.

There was a period a few years ago where every time I bought ice cream in Sainsbury's it had been defrosted then refrozen which ruins it. This also meant that they were likely breaking the law and leaving thrice cream out of the freezer too long whilst stocking it or allowing their freezers to get too warm.

Anyway after having a few tubs of Ben and Jerry's ruined the next time it happened I drove straight back and asked them to pay for my fuel as well.

I don't think this is an unreasonable request when the retailer has clearly done something wrong such as sell you the wrong or a broken item.

But many retailers have seriously cut back on their generosity due to people abusing it such as brining back items they have changed their mind about after months or indeed items that they have used. It is hard to strike a balance.

On average retailers still try to wriggle out of their responsibilities under the sale of goods act. I think they rely on the fact that people haven't got the time to sue them in small claims court. I did complain to trading standards a while back after being overcharged in Tesco and a staff member lying to my face that they couldn't fix it and refund the difference.

Edited by AliG