Cladding - Cembrit or Cedral?

Matt60

Hi,

I will order my cladding soon and the two names being mentioned are Cembrit and Cedral. There is conflicting information, I have been told that Cedral does not require repainting and that Cembrit does but have found some site that say Cembrit doesn't need painting. Cedral is 2mm thicker but both boards look to be pretty much the same to me.

My question is, has anyone got experience of these products and what are your thoughts on either or both?

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

1 hour ago, Matt60 said:

Thanks gents, has anyone used Clado product that is made from recycled wood/plastic? It looks really good.

It sounds like there could be flammability issues.  BC and warranty may want to see a BBA certificate for the system you choose.

Cedral is surprisingly easy to scratch. Our joiners have made a mess of quite a bit of ours. We are also looking at what looks like efflorescence coming through. 

Be careful when handling the planks and make sure they are kept dry until you install. I woudl also say don't install if it's raining and make sure you get the required ventalation.

• Like 1

Cedral does scratch easily . Touch up paint doesn’t hide the scratch ( as dries to a different shade ) . Once up though ( and away from hands that can scratch it ) ; looks great . Easy to install horizontally; vertical more challenging. Also when cut the end exposed looks poor . So you might require lots of the nice matching beading / cornering which is of course expensive .

Here’s mine at the rear of the property. I’ve not touched it in 2 years even to clean . 

image.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I had to make a decision on this quite quickly as the window firm need to know for the reveal thickness etc.

I've gone with the Cedral Click Classic in black. Fortunately, I've used my carpenter for years and he is very careful and fussy - I will give him the heads-up re the scratches.

Thanks again,

Matt.

• Like 1

I had numerous samples of various cladding earlier this year and liked a product called Millboard shadow line.

The burnt cedar looks really good and is very difficult to tell apart from real timber. It has a fantastic textured finish.

I decided not to use cladding though.