Is a kitchen extractor a requirement for BR?

We will be having a good sized kitchen approx 20' x 18' with an island containing an induction hob. We hardly ever use the extractor fan in our current kitchen.

Question: Is it a Building Regulation requirement to have some form of extractor fan?

If they are a requirement we don't want anything hanging down from the ceiling and don't want an in built extraction hob as takes room our of storage and they are expensive (another £1000 on top of std induction hob). If they are required what ceiling based units are recommended that don't break the bank. I have seen this but it weighs 120kg!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cookology-CEI1100BK-Ceiling-Island-Extractor/dp/B07HGF9M5Y/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=ceiling+extractor+fan+kitchen&pd_rd_r=3e986a9d-526c-4186-a33c-44b93dec1267&pd_rd_w=1pRax&pd_rd_wg=hQt7T&pf_rd_p=7c89f663-1851-4f5c-ad06-b2fd7b71af3e&pf_rd_r=5P80WM00SHJ3KSAF11WK&qid=1634218924&qsid=262-8854865-5889033&sr=8-5&sres=B07HKNNYSL%2CB01DAG7QWK%2CB07HGF9M5Y%2CB089QPX8QN%2CB098K3H36S%2CB01DAEZB7E%2CB08V92BLXC%2CB01CIIAI4E%2CB0813W5WRM%2CB00NOUF7V0%2CB07HC5FKY4%2CB07HMK5VGL%2CB07X9HNV2C%2CB07Q83MN1K%2CB07HN18ZSH%2CB00IUNBEI6&srpt=VENT_HOOD

8 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

Something else to put through the ICF!! I hate holes in walls

I assume as you are building in ICF you are trying to build a nice warm comfortable house that does not need much heat?

Well it WILL need ventilation.  the best way to achieve that in a well built air tight house is whole house MVHR.  Just 2 holes through the building instead of lots of uncontrolled trickle ventilation holes and various extrac ventilation holes.  Don't forget bathroom and utility room extractors needed so yet more holes through your building.  Just 2 looks very attractive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

I assume as you are building in ICF you are trying to build a nice warm comfortable house that does not need much heat?

Well it WILL need ventilation.  the best way to achieve that in a well built air tight house is whole house MVHR.  Just 2 holes through the building instead of lots of uncontrolled trickle ventilation holes and various extrac ventilation holes.  Don't forget bathroom and utility room extractors needed so yet more holes through your building.  Just 2 looks very attractive.

We have provisioned for an MVHR system and already have the ducts through the necessary walls concreted. 

31 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

I'll need to check the spec to ensure that they meet the BR requirements - the kitchen will need to be 60l/sec if not directly over the hob

There is a different set of requirements for constantly running mvhr, I am sure it is less than 60L/min.  but that is why mvhr has a boost mode where it runs faster while showering and cooking.  In our case we have a choice of 4 speeds to run the MVHR so I have set it for the very fastest when boosted by the upstairs boost switch and one down from fastest when boosted by the kitchen boost switch.

In any event you don't want or need a separate extract fan for a kitchen or a bathroom when you have mvhr.

The Scottish regs call for 0.5 ACH continuous ventilation with mvhr and a 25 to 50% boost.  Check what the English regs say.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Check what the English regs say.

Good luck. They don't appear to be written as nicely as the Scottish regs.

How did you go about filtering the air extracted from the kitchen if the mvhr is doing the work?  My architect was concerned about this to the point of advising me not to put the kitchen air into the mvhr.   

38 minutes ago, dnb said:

How did you go about filtering the air extracted from the kitchen if the mvhr is doing the work?  My architect was concerned about this to the point of advising me not to put the kitchen air into the mvhr.   

We are considering a recirculating fan/hood of some sort that does not vent outside. It would at least filter the worst of the steam and grease before getting to the MVHR duct.

Edited by Happy Valley

36 minutes ago, dnb said:

Recirculating cooker hood about a metre away from mvhr extract duct.

1 hour ago, Happy Valley said:

We are considering a recirculating fan/hood of some sort that does not vent outside. It would at least filter the worst of the steam and grease before getting to the MVHR duct.

That's what we did with the MVHR extract 1.5m away from the recirculaing cooker hood.