Quality and stylish switches - Trendi not doing it

jamiehamy

Hello, 

We're now looking to finalise the hardware for the electrics second fix in a couple of months. 

For the light switches/sockets, we want something modern, stylish and a wee bit different. We liked the look of the Trendi range and ordered a switch and socket - but really underwhelmed by the feel and operation of them - they look plasticy and feel cheap to use. 

Anyone any other suggestions - if you google TRENDI you'll see the idea we're looking for. 

There was another range we liked but they al came with a caveat that they might not fit a standard box which put me off somewhat. 

Thanks, Jamie 

Some of the Varilight range looks quite minimalist as does Hager and Schneider - all do neat round button switches.

If it's freaky sh!t then have a look at Lithoss from Belgium...mental!

You'll be wishing you fitted good old MK when it comes to replacing the odd one a few years down the line! :)

• Like 3

Try Le Grand.

When we did a sharp modern renovation on a Studio Bungalow in approx 2011-12 the architect specified them on the basis that they covered everything. Stylish and have innovative options. 

A huge range so you will need to take time.

https://www.legrand.co.uk/projects/residential/

https://www.legrand.co.uk/products/wiring-devices/wiring-accessories/

http://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/88824/The-10-Best-Legrand-Adorne-Wall-Switches-Dimmers-Prices-Reviews

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Just DON'T fit a non standard back box or you might regret it.

If you really must go off piste you can get paintable accessories to blend with your wall & even ones you can wallpaper behind a clear plastic front. What about Retrotouch's Crystal range? All glass fronts "as seen on GD" if you like that sort of thing :). Only thinking they do slim rockers though nowhere near as minimalist as Trendi. (Never fitted them btw). Or how about leather clad rockers!

If you go away from the big names you might struggle with choice and even support down the line.

Google "bespoke light switches".

Edited by Onoff

7 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

really underwhelmed by the feel and operation of them - they look plasticy and feel cheap to use

+1. 

Trendi are selling a lot of switches and a lot of people give them +ve reviews on Amazon but like you when I bought a sample I didnt feel they reached the standards I wanted.

So switch-wise, I went large-rocker European and bought Belgian Niko lightswitches (like @Trw144. Huge range and not too expensive if you stick to black or white. (Try DMLights, who also do LeGrand and an BtiCino, a flashy Italian manufacturer). 

Three pin sockets is more of a challenge. I couldnt find anything economic to compete with white plastic. The only ones I could find were coloured ones were made by Gira, and these are about four times the price (even bought direct from Germany). 

2 hours ago, Steptoe said:

On the non standard back box issue,

That may be as simple as requiring a deeper than standard back box, ie, 35 or 45mm as opposed to 'standard' being 25mm.

Good call, like with some flat plate stuff needing the extra depth!

I thought he was meaning face plate hole centres being non standard. I've got some commercial stuff like that somewhere...

4 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

+1. 

Trendi are selling a lot of switches and a lot of people give them +ve reviews on Amazon but like you when I bought a sample I didnt feel they reached the standards I wanted.

So switch-wise, I went large-rocker European and bought Belgian Niko lightswitches (like @Trw144. Huge range and not too expensive if you stick to black or white. (Try DMLights, who also do LeGrand and an BtiCino, a flashy Italian manufacturer). 

Three pin sockets is more of a challenge. I couldnt find anything economic to compete with white plastic. The only ones I could find were coloured ones were made by Gira, and these are about four times the price (even bought direct from Germany). 

If it was only 5-10 ukp extra each, I might be inclined to stump up.

That is only hundreds extra for the house and that is not a lot for items we see all the time.

Compare that with cost of slightly posher windows or a steam oven because we have a thing about mitres on the corners or cooking equipment.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

If it was only 5-10 ukp extra each, I might be inclined to stump up.

That is only hundreds extra for the house and that is not a lot for items we see all the time.

Compare that with cost of slightly posher windows or a steam oven because we have a thing about mitres on the corners or cooking equipment.

Ferdinand

I think I paid around £17 for the double socket niko switches in anthracite

Let's be honest with a bit of imagination.....

First take a photo of the cat's posterior. Print, cut out and trim to fit in one of these:

VLJIFP401C.JPG.1b692956d85914fedff4a590ad544f36.JPG

Then go mad with some diamante and craft glue.....or 100s and 1000s.....

Endless related possibilities! Lots of "being turned on jokes" too..... :)

Seriously though with Freestyle if you get bored you can change the "image". You could have it to match the wall and be "invisible", photos of loved ones, pics of the build, whatever floats your boat.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/tcl/search?query=Freestyle&Submit=Search

EDIT: Decent enough make Varilight imo.

Edited by Onoff
Toned down for fear of @RA :)

I was sure I put something about surprised looking cats and pencil sharpeners on this thread. Perhaps I didn't or didn't push the button or it evanished.

Anyhoo. It does exist. 

*Edited*

I think in the interests of forum decorum I may remove this later. Just in case someone is self-building a cat sanctuary.

* Apparently the diamond brand is Twinkle Tush.  :ph34r:

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 15:19, jamiehamy said:

Now That is looking good. I've ordered a switch and socket. If we like it will contact for a discount - we have a lot of switches and sockets! 

Thanks all - keep 'em coming! 

Now I wish I'd never asked...

Ordered a glass rocket switch which is lovely, but also a touch switch - which I absolutely love. It has a very dim blue LED light which will be great in the dark. 

The only problem is that we have over 30 sockets and over 30 switches and other paraphenalia...oh well, so much for coming in well under budget. 

This was my favourite "office" at work:

58e67f6952dcf_Devoncockpit.thumb.jpg.0df175678f4c7714a5c61c4b4eb16de8.jpg

It had that very unique DeHavilland smell, a mix of leather, oil and just a whiff of AvGas.  It also had proper opening DV windows of a decent size, to allow one to deposit one's cigar ash out of the window in flight (sadly, DeHavilland didn't fit cockpit ashtrays, unlike the Jetstream that we had after we sold the Devons..................).

6 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

Now I wish I'd never asked...

Ordered a glass rocket switch which is lovely, but also a touch switch - which I absolutely love. It has a very dim blue LED light which will be great in the dark. 

The only problem is that we have over 30 sockets and over 30 switches and other paraphenalia...oh well, so much for coming in well under budget. 

Was it the varilight touch switch? I had those in last house and quite a high failure rate