Is this legal?

11 hours ago, daiking said:

Seen this posted somewhere, an over bath boiler...

Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 12.51.11.png

That has to be a "no", surely.

It would require the relevant certification to be within the "zone", unless it was 12v. 

F

Edited by Ferdinand

22 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Not legal now, but it wasn't uncommon to find arrangements like this years ago.  I rented a very small flat in Shepherds Bush in the early 70's that had a multipoint fitted in exactly the same place.

I figured that, I just wanted to post the picture. 

12 hours ago, daiking said:

Now this does look illegal. Sockets too close to shower?

Basically it is a badly designed small studio room imo.

Interesting that the Standard do not link to the ad.

chiswick-studio.jpg.ebb8dcf2ec204325da5fdd08212c87a9.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

46 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Shampoo in yer sausages? And it's not even April 1st.....

This just has to have been Photoshopped. Please, someone tell me this isn't true. Please.

It quite possibly isn't as its 'from' gumtree.

there's an even worse one linked at the bottom of the standard article, with what appears to be a smaller than 70cm x 70cm shower cubicle

13 minutes ago, daiking said:

That one is better because the door is at the front, and electrics are not reachable from inside the shower.

There used to be small flats in London with the bath under the worktop in the kitchen iirc. I saw one once on a renovation TV programme. It would  probably havave been London County or Peabody or similar. 

Ferdinand

My experience of rented places when I was a student were that landlords were often very creative with using space.

A ground floor flat I rented in Harrow was advertised as having a living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom (the toilet was shared and accessed from the hallway).  A feature that was advertised prominently was that the flat had it's own private entrance.  The reality was that a large lean-to shed had been built on the side of the house to form the "living room", with the carpet laid directly on what had been a concrete yard, complete with inspection chamber under the carpet.  The "private entrance" was a door in the shed that opened directly on to the pavement.  The door from the shed to the kitchen was the old back door of the house.  Part of the kitchen had been partially partitioned and the bath was behind the partition.  The only thing in the "bathroom" was the bath, that filled the floor space.  There was a curtain between the kitchen and the bath, so to step into or out of the bath (about half of the bath's length was in the "doorway") you had to pull the curtain aside and step out of, or into, the kitchen.

Edited by JSHarris

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Would that be illegal in countries where sockets are allowed in bathrooms?

They look like UK plugs to me, but whether or not it is legal, sticking them in the splash zone where you step out of the shower onto the floor is still stupid, IMO. :)