This weeks grand designs

joe90

Just watched it and boy what an awful site to build on (can’t believe they only found out about the sewer after they bought it?), but what a skilled chap and such a hard worker. I also love the double decker bus as a workshop for him.

I wish they had come into the project earlier?  I would like to have seen more about the railway sleeper retaining wall that appears to be 9 sleepers high but sat on edge not on the flat.  I wonder how that works and is going to retain 2 metres or more of land so close to the house?

But I loved the hands on, work it out as you go approach.  And never before has the description "sharp" been so appropriate.

And I liked the bus as a workshop as a way of not "building" over the sewer.

One of the classic GD's I think.

Oh and the obligatory new born.

• Like 1

Skill, I wonder how long before he is building a place in the country? Love the double decker idea. Not sure about the sleeper wall, though I like the look of it, I wonder at the foundations as they looked to be exposed when he started building, and the effect of wind on them. 

That's really self building. I don't know how someone can do that much work themselves.

Lovely house.

Bit odd on the budget, trying to do things on a tight budget, but £37k on Internorm windows. They could have got something similar for £10-15k less.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/09/2021 at 16:45, PeterW said:

The sleepers aren’t a full retaining wall - they are a sound block for a lot of their height. Seemed to tag them to scaffold poles to retain them.  

This intrigued me as I was going to build a face wall with sleepers.

Can't convince wife to go horizontal with them though.

I like the idea of the wall but burying 1/4 to 1/3 of the sleeper length doesn't warm my heart.