NEWBIE eco self build

ukjamie

My pool is set at 29C, the temperature always says either 29C or 30C.

This is the recommended temperature for a leisure pool. For sports 28C is recommended and for small children/old people 30-31C.

Everyone feels it is cold when they get in. However, once submerged in the water your body adjusts almost instantly and after a few minutes moving around you feel quite warm. If the temp is set higher you quickly overheat.

The problem is people really don't like the shock of getting into the water. My wife took months to get used to it, although she is fine with it now.

My suspicion would be that an outdoor pool only get occasional use when it is really hot as any other time people don't enjoy the cold shock. My in-laws in California have a shared outdoor street pool. Even when it is 35C plus outside it is absolutely freezing and most unpleasant to get into. But it is very nice and cooling after a few minutes.

An outdoor pool has some large cost advantages. You won't need £20k of dehumidification equipment and of course you won't need the best part of 100sq metres of building to put it inside, so that saves £200k.

Heating costs depend a lot on when you plan to use the pool. First of all it should be covered which reduces heating costs by up to 70% on an outdoor pool. If you only heat the pool from May to September, you are probably only talking about £100 a month in heating for an outdoor pool. However, this cost would increase massively to £100s a month in the winter.

The main question you have to ask yourself is what do you want to use the pool for and how often.

My main worry re an outdoor pool would be maintenance. Leaves will blow into it, pollen, insects and so on. It will require considerably more effort to keep it clean.

• Thanks 2

I built a pool for My brother in law, used a fibreglass “tub” ready built, large “patio” around it and he had a large “greenhouse” installed over it (probably not called a greenhouse!!!), one end was fixed and the other two sections slid past it so it could be open on hot days but covered the rest of the time. I installed a swim jet which worked really well. He did admit it used more heating oil than his house (which was poorly insulated) ?

My sister lives in Texas, bought a house with a pool. Said that they've considered filling it in a few times as it doesn't get used that much and costs them a bomb in maintenance etc. Kids are all grown now so gets even less use.

Now we are lucky enough to gave a big long garden and could easily accommodate a pool but have never been tempted.

Got a cheap 3x2m free standing one from Amazon with filter and heater and it keeps everyone here happy for the few months it's hot & sunny. 

Wife chooses to swim in local river year round.

Anyway, back to the OP - we have an 'eco' house with better than BR targets but no specifics. Insulated slab but no MVHR.

Seems a bit muddled but MVHR is easy enough to design in - we only decided to go passive after getting PP but made everything work.

The architect will have done SAP calcs assuming trickle vents & extractor fans to meet BR ventilation regs, get them to do it again with MVHR.

Not relying on draughts for ventilation (taking your heated/cooled air with them) will only improve your 'eco' performance. Plus you have fresh filtered air year round.