Knocked back :(

DragsterDriver

Soooo... 

I have a plot with planning permission for a replacement dwelling. It’s a crap plot, flood zone 3 and railway on the boundary but budget dictates etc. 

here are the approved elevations:

Looks classic ‘farmer house’ to me. Not pretty.

B85666D3-273D-4933-B4C8-0249A7CDC7DE.png

i wanted something more modern, letterbox type windows etc:

8CD50E82-54EA-4533-BBB6-CF1E60E991A3.thumb.png.1d44377473eaf9c01cc8250b4cab4fe5.png

sadly today I received :

68CF41A8-80D1-49FA-ADF4-D589B38697FE.png

Edited by DragsterDriver
Bungling pics

I don't like planners being so specific about design generally, especially looking at the other houses in the street.

But, I don't understand what you are thinking with the redesign and planners do have some responsibility to try and achieve good design.

Are you really proposing those tiny little windows, it would be awful and dark inside.

BC may also have an issue with the lack of light and ventilation and it would impact the SAP score.

• Like 2

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

Change the windows to a normal size. You'll regret living in a house with no natural light.

This will help to fix the "austere and characterless elevations"

For the chimney you have a strong argument that the government wants to ban stoves/fires etc and so houses shouldn't have chimneys. They also harm airtightness. I have two which are totally fake!

Unless catslides are a feature of the area he doesn't have much of an argument. Why not change to the one you are suggesting, I think he maybe just wants it to have character not a specific design.

Then maybe look to varying the outer finish in a modern way such as a mix of render and wood, something that you like that provides some variation.

I suspect the windows and the creation of the large expanses of wall are the main problem. The planner will also like if you show willing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AliG said:

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

Change the windows to a normal size. You'll regret living in a house with no natural light.

This will help to fix the "austere and characterless elevations"

For the chimney you have a strong argument that the government wants to ban stoves/fires etc and so houses shouldn't have chimneys. They also harm airtightness. I have two which are totally fake!

Unless catslides are a feature of the area he doesn't have much of an argument. Why not change to the one you are suggesting, I think he maybe just wants it to have character not a specific design.

Then maybe look to varying the outer finish in a modern way such as a mix of render and wood, something that you like that provides some variation.

I suspect the windows and the creation of the large expanses of wall are the main problem. The planner will also like if you show willing.

Thanks!

I have to say the latest plans do look a bit...meh. I can sympathise with the planner.

He seems pretty waspy- I wonder if he’d entertain me emailing him some sketches and photos before redrawing? That’s what does me in- there’s no dialogue.

I inherited approved plans which included 2 chimneys, apparently they're a staple of the local design guide & the PO insisted on them.  After buying the plot I gained approval to remove them after submiting a variation of condition application.  My argument was chimneys on a new build are "anachronistic, unnecessary & contrary to the principles of sustainable design & construction."

Feel free to use my wording - I made the last bit up so unsure if it's actually true but I think it sounds good!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Personally I prefer the original design (if not the catslide). Think the new one is going to be dark inside with all those small letterbox windows.

same! 

I’m going to redraw it tonight minus the chimney and catslides. I did email the planning officer back and left a voicemail- I’d just like a steer on anything else to please him but won’t hold my breath. 

catslides are the red line really- I’ve built a pair today and I hate them with a passion. 

So, your proposed entrance is considered an improvement.  Keep that in but revert to the approved windows elsewhere.  You could try pitched or curved roof dormers if the catslide is not your thing.

Perhaps post up what you propose before you sent it to the planning officer as this could be your last chance to get this through.

Personally I think the officer did you a favour and you dodged a bullet there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

So, your proposed entrance is considered an improvement.  Keep that in but revert to the approved windows elsewhere.  You could try pitched or curved roof dormers if the catslide is not your thing.

Perhaps post up what you propose before you sent it to the planning officer as this could be your last chance to get this through.

On reflection I did see their point- I know how it would look but the plans are very bland. I’ll deffo post it up for comment :)

I usually have to talk clients out of too much glass...

The approved elevations are miles better than the revised ones, although there might be other poor houses around that should be the bar - but the approved elevations are definitely hurting your application because there's more detail in them.

• Like 1

Well that’s it, I’ve done my best.

planning won’t answer calls or emails so I’ll send the missus over with these in an envelope to see if I’ll get any comment. 
also the conditions to be discharged, really glad I paid an ‘architect’ and still done it myself.

and the ecology/planting- he’s another one.

6BB42BC2-313A-4805-B11B-7E7227FAA58F.jpeg

C70AB725-CFCB-4D1E-8D93-C7049B76933C.jpeg

17 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

hope ive not cocked it up.

626AD2F1-9E28-4126-BD9A-20A7D11EBEA3.jpeg

5 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

Blown away by the feedback ?

Don't get all needy on us!

I am not good at elevations but with the SE one I prefer the windows in the approved scheme so stick with those.  The slot window looks incongruous.  The NW elevation looks OK.  Timber cladding I can take or leave and it can often look tatty after a few years and weather differently  depending on the elevation.

With the covering letter, just say what you have done to address their comments:  Entrance door and simplified eaves, contrasting materials and better resolved windows.

They are not interested in the eco credentials unless it is policy for you to achieve some set level, in which case you would include visible stuff like PV and external ASHP on your plans.

They can see enough from the elevations and plans and will in any case likely condition things like materials.

One more iteration may be sensible (unless you have already sent it!).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DragsterDriver said:

planning won’t answer calls or emails so I’ll send the missus over with these in an envelope to see if I’ll get any comment

they don't, they won't until they either like or dislike the new plan.

Good luck!

Although given the size of the plot, you should have gone for a mini estate with at least 3 dwellings - you'd have got that no trouble....

Simon

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Don't get all needy on us!

I am not good at elevations but with the SE one I prefer the windows in the approved scheme so stick with those.  The slot window looks incongruous.  The NW elevation looks OK.  Timber cladding I can take or leave and it can often look tatty after a few years and weather differently  depending on the elevation.

With the covering letter, just say what you have done to address their comments:  Entrance door and simplified eaves, contrasting materials and better resolved windows.

They are not interested in the eco credentials unless it is policy for you to achieve some set level, in which case you would include visible stuff like PV and external ASHP on your plans.

They can see enough from the elevations and plans and will in any case likely condition things like materials.

One more iteration may be sensible (unless you have already sent it!).

I’m a man on the edge! ?

honestly thought paying somebody would make all this paperwork go away, wrong again!

recieved a reply :o planner isn’t against t changes, but really wants his chimney and brick areas- do I really want to be sticking brick slips on a timber frame?...

13 minutes ago, Bramco said:

they don't, they won't until they either like or dislike the new plan.

Good luck!

Although given the size of the plot, you should have gone for a mini estate with at least 3 dwellings - you'd have got that no trouble....

Simon

Outside the development envelope, and an elevated railway in the garden- not a chance!