Leak

canalsiderenovation

4 hours ago, Conor said:

@canalsiderenovation do you still have the low water pressure issue or did it resolve? Low after pressure can be indicative of a bust / leaking pipe....

No, no evidence now of any issues re pressure. I wonder if this may have been a complete coincidence as it only happened once when I turned the tap on and it was low. Turned tap on and off again and it was fine. I will of course keep an eye on this for any other issues but we haven't seen any evidence of any other leaks.

• 1 month later...

Ok since the new plumber fixed the sink leak, he's been back twice. Once we noticed it dripping and he tightened everything again, fine for a week and then leaking again and he came today and he's replaced the whole trap, plug, checked the waste pipe and resealed it, less than 2 hours later it's leaking again.

He seems completely perplexed and is returning again later today again for the third time. We have no idea why it keeps leaking. Does anyone have any clue?

Pics and video attached after running water ....

IMG_20211014_133113.thumb.jpg.6c7bb58d664b312a44970d841c31f78e.jpgIMG_20211014_135828.thumb.jpg.20c1e91ab66a2936f8fa2eb47e579d99.jpg

Its hard to see much from your video - the leak wont be where its dripping - it will be somewhere else and tracking to the point where it drips.

Is that a shed load of silicone bodged on the waste thread?

Wastes can leak water (around) through the thread around the nut - its a common problem - I would be checking: if there is a seal between the waste nut and the sink and then Is there something to seal the thread on the waste where the nut currently is? 

Edited by wozza

Does the sink have a hidden overflow ..?

And when he replaced the waste did he take the whole thing apart  including take the silver waste out ..?

What may be happening is that the silver waste tube has a slot cut in it and it’s not properly sealed to the sink from the top to start with.  Water will be coming down the side of the thread and under the nut through any hairline crack in the overflow porcelain. Happens when they get out on the floor on their waste outlets as the porcelain at that point can be quite thin. 

Ok so previously this plumber has replaced the bottle trap and the chrome plug/silver thread waste (twice he has replaced the chrome plug/silver thread waste and I do believe it was all sealed. 

In desperation last night we messaged a local plumber, one that comes highly recommended but is booked til Feb asking for advice. I sent him the pictures, video and he asked for pictures from the top/of the sink itself. I explained the dripping doesn't start immediately, rather seems to occur shortly after running the tap.

His comments mirror @PeterW as this is what he said:

I've seen this before.. its a faulty basin where there is a small crack in the shell of the basin as it has an over flow in it. Replace the basin..

I've messaged Hudson Reed to see what they say as it their sink and it hasn't been fitted 12 months.

Thanks for the video, I've got PTF tape from plumbing in the boat so I'll be fitting any new sink like shown there. 

I should be an expert by then as I'm doing a complete fit out of the bathroom on the boat with new shower and folding sink and fitting a whale gulper pump. Wish me luck ? 

• Like 1

Success, Hudson Reed are replacing the sink so just need to get the other one off the unit (think it's been siliconed on). Ordered a new plug/waste and going to fit everything myself thanks @wozza for the video.

The new tap we have ordered from Bristan comes with plug/waste but I will probably order this as well https://www.screwfix.com/p/thomas-dudley-ltd-basin-waste-seal-kit-3-piece-set/8795r which seems to get good reviews to make sure everything is sealed properly. Hopefully that will be the end of the issues.

Edited by canalsiderenovation