Self-build in Perth & Kinross - hello

Kelvin

Nearly done. The low ceiling balls up by the builder has caused a problem with finishing above the cabinets. It was supposed to be open but because of the narrow gap it now looks unfinished. Options are to fit an LED light (I cabled for this) or frame it with a decor panel to match the doors. We’ll probably go option two and frame it. 

Really impressed with the kitchen fitter. I couldn’t have fitted this myself. The handleless shadow gap design needed an awful lot of work to get right. He’s been here two days longer than planned which I’ve offered to go 50/50 on. 

IMG_1138.jpeg.cb3d7db42d683fc73479fc039ede1942.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kelvin said:

It is. It was three but I removed one. 

I have one steam pro and an aeg combi microwave oven. Very happy with both, the sous vide function on the steam pro is awesome. The camera and WiFi operations are a bit rubbish however.

I’ll never use either. I doubt I’ll ever connect them to the network. The pump for our treatment plant system is also Wi-Fi enabled. One benefit , it says, is it will inform you when it’s not working. I kinda think I’ll know in a different way. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I’ll never use either. I doubt I’ll ever connect them to the network. The pump for our treatment plant system is also Wi-Fi enabled. One benefit , it says, is it will inform you when it’s not working. I kinda think I’ll know in a different way. 

We got WiFi enabled ovens simply for the setting of the clocks. If they’re set atomically then they’ll be in sync. 

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

They have a very dumb piece of functionality whereby they fully disable remote control if you interact with the oven in any way. It's supposedly designed to stop someone remotely interfering inadvertently with someone who's already cooking in the kitchen. In reality, the last time I checked it's not possible to get the food in or out of the oven without opening the door.

7 hours ago, saveasteading said:

How could I forget the coffee machine?

Must look into these ovens!

I have two Sage coffee machines. One that makes milky coffees and espresso which will be in the main kitchen as I use it several times a day. The other one is a filter coffee machine that is only used if we have people round which will be in the utility room. 

Our challenge will be keeping the island clear. We aren’t the tidiest of people. My other half tends to use every flat surface as a shelf too. 

I tidied up the site again and put more hardcore down so we are nice and dry again.

Also got the ASHP and HWC installed. It had a bit of a small weep at a joint after they left but was straightforward to fix  IMG_1139.jpeg.6e61485064a960979682e3ce99ac1bff.jpeg

IMG_1147.jpeg.91bf446a0bf13188b0bb9ed38081484b.jpegIMG_1146.jpeg.a12597e3a345d8aafd552a9414efb51c.jpeg

IMG_1148.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more progress. We are now fully plastered and I’ve done about 60% of the painting. Heating has finished the floor drying mode which resulted in one relatively short minor crack in the floor. Worktop was installed today. It’s big a very white. Nice job by the fitters. We have a slight problem in that the sink is a little too deep (by mm) so it’s fouling the drawer beneath stopping it from fitting. I can check a bit out of it but the kitchen company has agreed to make up a new drawer carcass and I’ll swap the front over. Also a bit of a palaver fitting the extract duct for the hob. 

IMG_1245.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@oliwoodings Thank you. 

Tiling starts on Monday so we are on the home straight! 

I fitted our ceiling light today in the vaulted ceiling. Been putting it off as a combination if a wobbly tower that’s a bit too big and high for the space and delicate glass shades isn’t great. But lights up and working and tower down without any problems. 

IMG_1306.thumb.jpeg.f99d785b7302c5ce0d26a01bc0b078e3.jpeg

• Like 1

Open plan kitchen area tiling done. Started on Monday which was us mostly planning to have as few narrow cuts as possible. Very pleased that we were spot on with our door thresholds given all the last minute changes we had with the floor. 

image.thumb.jpg.4748bfb81d3481dc631cb4985a3e6b31.jpg

• Like 5

We’re having a table made by a young local cabinet maker made from a tree I bought a year ago. Just got a first picture of it. It’ll have ends to be added to frame and secure it. It’s 2.2m x 1.1m. Looks stunning. 

IMG_3181.thumb.jpeg.9b4ed258b809cc40632567c135fb91ab.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 2

On 09/01/2024 at 21:51, Thorfun said:

We got WiFi enabled ovens simply for the setting of the clocks. If they’re set atomically then they’ll be in sync. 

Very on the spectrum thinking🤔

• Like 1

Fitted the big feature wall tile and the island pendant lights. Bit of centering issue so had to move two of them by 7cm to fix so some holes to fill. Also finished the first room (utility room) apart from final paint and sealing the edges of everything. 

IMG_1471.thumb.jpeg.b7812dd9c0094a68ef0a2d635c07b727.jpegIMG_1474.thumb.jpeg.2b772811406b44771033876842f415d7.jpegIMG_1472.thumb.jpeg.257d9486d37aa7192311ada1db1931d9.jpeg

• Like 3

The mosaic tiles really are nice. We’re also using them in the two bathrooms. 

We’re really pleased with all the tile choices. It’s hard to tell when choosing tiles about how they’ll look when fitted and we went through tens of samples. Can thoroughly recommend Walker & Lewis in Perth. Ian, the owner, couldn’t have been more helpful or flexible. Has a nice showroom and a great choice of good quality tiles. 

http://stoneandtilesperth.co.uk 

Although I noticed his website has been off-line for a few days.