Sourcing wooden cladding

Ben100

Hi all, I'm looking to clad the outside of my timber frame extension, and was wondering where the best place to buy the timber was? Are you guys going to online companies or buying from local timber merchants?

Cheers,

Ben

I bought Siberian larch from an on-line seller, based about 50 miles away.  The price was great, quality was pretty average, and service was poor. I'd shop around and get samples.  Local is nice, but if the timber is coming from Siberia, the last 100 miles is neither here nor there.

8 hours ago, Ben100 said:

Hi all, I'm looking to clad the outside of my timber frame extension, and was wondering where the best place to buy the timber was? Are you guys going to online companies or buying from local timber merchants?

Cheers,

Ben

I think it depends on where you are and the local suppliers you've got access to and what species you're looking for. I bought my British Western Red Cedar from Cedar Direct they supply Canadian cedar too. I had good service and when my order was ready, I got a call from a yard with number telling me it was from Brecon. All very close to me. They do supply nationally.

Thanks all, I’m looking for feather edge cladding and to paint it black. It’s a common look around here in north Essex. As I’m painting it the actual look of the wood isn’t that important. I think I’ll go for Siberian larch as it’s hardy and inexpensive.

You can get it ready painted. I don't remember where we got ours from but 14 years later I've only just arranged for someone to repaint it.

Edit: Buildbase sell ready painted but shop around.. 

https://www.buildbase.co.uk/timber-doors-sheet-material/pse-cladding/outdoor-cladding/pre-painted-sawn-featheredge-cladding-black-32x175mm-x-43m-100010914-2832383

image.png.58c96a118a0ef5d975eaf6d6a144a017.png

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

On 10/07/2021 at 13:42, Ben100 said:

I think I’ll go for Siberian larch as it’s hardy and inexpensive.

I got some a few years ago from Vastern Timber.  May be worth getting a quote.

It is quite splintery so wear gloves.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...