vivienz

We're planning to put a fairly substantial wildlife pond onto the agricultural part of our new plot.  I understand that we need to apply for PP for this as it will be quite large.

Has anyone else gone through this process and is there any advice to be had?

I'm not sure if the distance between the pond and house would be too great - approx 300m.  The pond won't be particularly deep as it more about having plenty of shallows and marginal areas, but water source would be excellent if I could figure out how to get it.

Do it don't tell anybody. We have 3 lakes and a number of large ponds, every time we look into getting consent for something it ends up costing us a fortune. 

Tell nobody don't upset anybody doing it and get it done. 

The one in the pic is about a third of an acre, took a week with a 14 ton machine. 

No spoil left the site cost £1400 to dig and about £200 to plant it and re,seed around it with a wildflower mix. 

But then again don't listen to a word i say I'm just a bit dodgy. ?

IMG_2771.JPG

• Like 2

This is unfortunately outside my ken.

Would love to do something like that.

I do know if takes *years* to sort out if it gets in a tangle with the Water Company. Friend did have a large pond or 3 (to the extent that people came around on spec asking for fishing lakes after Google spotting), and a new water main going through somehow damaged it and it drained. Took 5+ years to obtain a resolution.

Would quite like to know what the limitations on eg boating is if it suddenly catches protected wildlife.

Edited by Ferdinand

9 hours ago, vivienz said:

We're planning to put a fairly substantial wildlife pond onto the agricultural part of our new plot

Ok I missed the first line - I'm assuming you have a reasonably large plot and this pond you are digging is a stock pond to provide water storage for stock.........??

Isn't it ...??? :ph34r: 

If so, then it would be classed as an agricultural activity and assuming it's not huge or diverts a water course then there should be no issues ....

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Isn't a case of build the lake/pond & the GCNs will come? :)

Yer a proper wind-up-merchant aren't ya? >:( (:D)

We are even now trying to recover the children's' pocket money: why? They, as paid up members of the Herpetology Club, went round the local ponds and -laden with buckets of harvested GCNs- brought them back to 'our ponds'.

Full PP brought our folly to light and many  thousands of pounds later, I  contemplate our stupidity at leisure. With a slight smile.

We have created two extra hibernaculae so that  future generations will be able have the same experience we had last weekend. A GCN waltzing brazenly across our bedroom floor looking for all the world as if it was, like we were, starting our daily commute to work.

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What are the ones with the orange bellies you find when you say move an old water butt that it's been living under?

Tasty when lightly sautéed with some onions and butter ...

20 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What are the ones with the orange bellies you find when you say move an old water butt that it's been living under?

That's yer GCN.

It is perfectly legal to -in order to prevent injury or death- remove  one to a place of safety. Its a good idea to wet your hands before doing so. 

6 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

That's yer GCN.

It is perfectly legal to -in order to prevent injury or death- remove  one to a place of safety. Its a good idea to wet your hands before doing so. 

Yep.

Newts are a strange exception amongst protected species - you can move them yourselves iirc from last time I read the Act. (not legal advice)

The Natty Newt Men do not have Batty Bat Men style monopoly.

Edited by Ferdinand

Lovely pond, Russell. It looks a little bigger than our planned one, but OH seems to be getting more ambitious by the day.

Well now, Peter W, this pond could, indeed, be used for water storage for the stock.  In fact, thinking about it, that could be its main purpose in life.  Ahem.

Guest Alphonsox

Interesting discussion - We're thinking of something similar on part of our agricultural land adjacent to the plot. The main problem we face is that we are on very quick draining sandy soil. Any thoughts on a cost effective way to line a large pond to keep the water from vanishing ?

31 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

That's yer GCN.

Reminds me of a few weeks back when I came home from work to find my three year old whizzing round the house on his scooter with his new friend, a great crested newt, sat perched on his handle bars. 

Would that classify as moving it to safety? 

This was going to be a question I was going to ask, 

1, where is the water coming from? 

2, how are you going to keep it in the hole?

3, as far as I see it if you dig below the water table it will fill up on its own, but it will go up and down as the water table does. 

Your water will disappear two ways.  One evaporation, two it will run out the bottom and sides of the hole. 

So you really need to do a bit of testing. 

Dig a few test holes and see what the ground is like. 

We are on gravel with a very high water table, as you can see from my pics we have more trouble trying to keep the water out than keeping it in.