I feel like giving up on the idea.

19 minutes ago, pocster said:

The oldest method in the world to erode debt - inflation!!!! . 

There is a slight difference now is that countries in the developed world tend not to just physically print more FIAT currency, they back up this debt with bonds.

Now, what happens if/when those bonds cannot be paid is a different matter, I think that is what happened to Brazil and Argentina in the early 1990s.

Basically money, of any sort, FIAT or a rare commodity (gold) is a combination to time, talent and resources.  Very rare that all three of those are available in one place i.e. Japan has time (lots of workers), talent (very well educated workers) but few natural resources.  The UK has little time (low productivity workers), medium talent (not highly educated workers in some fields) but a lot of natural resources.  It is really just a combination of what produces the most overall (competitive advantage).

This is partly why the UK is good at insurance and finance (a highly qualified and diverse workforce), reasonably good productivity (had lots of inward investment) and a historic base to work from (think Lloyds shipping and oversees investments).

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

There is a slight difference now is that countries in the developed world tend not to just physically print more FIAT currency, they back up this debt with bonds.

Now, what happens if/when those bonds cannot be paid is a different matter, I think that is what happened to Brazil and Argentina in the early 1990s.

Basically money, of any sort, FIAT or a rare commodity (gold) is a combination to time, talent and resources.  Very rare that all three of those are available in one place i.e. Japan has time (lots of workers), talent (very well educated workers) but few natural resources.  The UK has little time (low productivity workers), medium talent (not highly educated workers in some fields) but a lot of natural resources.  It is really just a combination of what produces the most overall (competitive advantage).

This is partly why the UK is good at insurance and finance (a highly qualified and diverse workforce), reasonably good productivity (had lots of inward investment) and a historic base to work from (think Lloyds shipping and oversees investments).

Yeah yeah . Bored . 
Inflation erodes ( or deleverages debt ) go and get a 99 or something. Think in Cornwall a 99 means something else ! ?

Edited by pocster

@pocster. @SteamyTea

If you want to post about inflation or debt, seagulls or Cornish pasties then start a new thread. Don't be hijacking this thread, it's Sunday and very warm and my drink is very cold and I have to keep checking  on both off you to make sure what you post is suitable for viewing by the wider public.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

@pocster. @SteamyTea

If you want to post about inflation or debt, seagulls or Cornish pasties then start a new thread. Don't be hijacking this thread, it's Sunday and very warm and my drink is very cold and I have to keep checking  on both off you to make sure what you post is suitable for viewing by the wider public.

@SteamyTea is a protagonist to bad things - should be banned 

I have given up on the thread...a bit like my proposed build for now.  The whole thing has worn me down for now.  I've given it to a small local agent at a get me out with a few quid price. If it sells, it sells. If it don't then i'll think about starting the build early next year. To be honest, i'd be happy to continue camping out on the dump that currently stands on site, but the Mrs would rather, either get on, or get out. I understands how she feels to be honest. I have defo changed in the last year Covid, and all that. I now have 3 grandchildren, that i didn't have before covid, and another due in a few weeks. When i bought the place 4 years ago, i still had some buzz. Frankly, now, i just feel a bit drained. Don't get me wrong, i should be able to make £300 k clear profit but, none of us have a date stamp behind our ears. We have substantially helped the 3 kids, so i don't feel the need at the moment.

• Like 2

@Big Jimbo all joking aside I do understand your dilemma. 
To make 300k without sticking a shovel in the ground is nothing to be sniffed at .

If you’ve lost the buzz then the build would be torture . After 7 years I still buzz ! But I’m an idiot .

Things change , you adapt . 
Stay frosty ! ?

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with selling the plot. You have done the sums, thought long and hard on it, and now taken the first step to a solution.

But if you vanish from the forum I will miss you.

My mother has lived in her house for 35 years, the garden was always her thing.

It has hardly changed, when I discuss this with her, even now, she says 'in my mind it is many things, if I pick one design it will be wrong'. So she leaves it as is, and goes out to lunch a lot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Nothing wrong with selling the plot. You have done the sums, thought long and hard on it, and now taken the first step to a solution.

But if you vanish from the forum I will miss you.

My mother has lived in her house for 35 years, the garden was always her thing.

It has hardly changed, when I discuss this with her, even now, she says 'in my mind it is many things, if I pick one design it will be wrong'. So she leaves it as is, and goes out to lunch a lot.

Don't worry, i won't vanish. I think this site is a great resorce, and at times can be fun. I actually think that doing the build might give me the kick up the butt i need, I would rather just sit it out for a while. If i get an offer, i'll take it from there.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

at times can be fun

Some of us do our best to lighten it up. Found the best way to learn, and teach, was to make light of difficult situations.

Sometimes it can seem cruel.

There have been a couple of people in the past, on previous sites (the old place and the other place) that have got in a right pickle, and then vanished. One of them lives near me and I saw her place most days, no work happen for months, but seems work has slowly started. I would call in, but think it now has new owners.

The other person fell apart completely, a tragic story. Nice guy, technical education, but overwhelmed.

I know my limitations in management, always thought it was the place to be. So set up my own business, because I was good at the technical side. Cost me my holiday home, car, relationship and all my so called friends, but two (and one of the (expletive deleted)ers died last month).

Way to high a price to pay, so I take the attitude 'kill the baby at birth".

Sorry, that was all about me.

Over to you now.

• Like 2

It's funny how time, and age changes you. (well it has me) I could have taken a few different paths in life. My 2 mates at primary school became armed robbers. Each ended up with 12 years. My nextdoor neighbour died from sticking too many needles in his arms. The lad a few doors up got refused entry to a nightclub one night. Went home, got a gun, went back to the club. Shot and killed the bouncer. A good pal (crook) was killed at 25. Most of my relatives were in building (now dead) but my dad was not keen in me following that path, which is how i ended up in banking for 12 years. Thats where i met my wife of 32 years. I would'nt change anything except perhaps robbing the bank that i worked at. (everybody else was). I did'nt know at the time, but internal fraud was so easy in the 70's and 80's. I had to laugh, when i found out later that the lad i used to work with dealing in foreign currencies was altering the exchange rates by 0.01%, and skimming £1000 a day in 1980. He owned up to me years later. I used to look after the money of crooks, ex presidents, presidents to be, dictators, and terrorist organisations. Most of them had no clue what i was doing and as Dell boy said "I could have been a millionaire" many times over had i not been so honest. (tough upbringing, but always taught to be honest) (If my parents were still alive, perhaps i would hold that against them.)

But i am ok, just a bit sad that the lenders that basically fund the industry seem to be so far behind where we should be as a forward thinking nation. As i have said, if it sells, it sells. If not i'll get cracking with a standard new build in the New Year. In the meantime i shall certainly hang around to offer any help i can, and to annoy a few people like Pocster.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

i ended up in banking for 12 years

As Bob Dylan sang.

"Some men rob you with a fountain pen, didn't take long to find out, what he was talking about"

If not i'll get cracking with a standard new build in the New Year

Or something novel, that makes use of easy to get hold of materials and can be DIYed.

I think builders, like many industries, like to make an easy job difficult.

Simplify and add novelty.  The large builders, who make the majority of 'boxes' that are so criticised on here, have not moved forward at all in 50 years or more.

People still think that PVC double glazing is novel FFS.

My 2 mates at primary school became armed robbers. Each ended up with 12 years.

Think about how much money they saved not paying bills, and if you are naughty in prison, you get your food delivered to your table, that is better than we get, it just comes to the door.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear this @Big Jimbo but In all honesty if your heart is not in it 100% then it will be horrible, it’s bad enough self building when you are still very keen and I have to be honest myself, despite being very pleased with what I have done it’s taken it’s toll on me in various ways. But do stick around eh?

• Like 2