Complete Newbie to self build

hbooth

6 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Your budget is tight, you have outline planning permission and you need 4 bedrooms in 200 sqm. If your plot is flat and not oddly shaped you could skip straight to an architectural technician who would create technical drawings ready to hand over to a builder, that is £10k to £20k saved before you start.

I know an affable and approachable architectural technician in Grimsby. Where are you building in Lincolnshire roughly?

BTW the prevailing forum culture here has a bit of a downer on architects as you might now be realizing.

Yes it does seem like a bit of a pile on. Unfair in my view.

If you are a first time self builder on a budget then perhaps look for experience coupled with practical knowledge about buildability and associated costs.

Many of the professions: Technician, Architect, SE cross fertilise and as these folk go through their career they become modestly competant in each other's disciplines. All these designers can deliver good value if you are in the right frame of mind.

I work with a Chartered Architect who has a great feel for the SE side.. but has been at it for forty years and worked with countless SE's.

If you have a larger design budget and want something unique then a good Architect can often deliver something special. To do this they will often pull together an SE and Architectural technologist who have the same frame of mind. They all work as a team.  The design cost will increase but you get the full breadth of experience.

13 minutes ago, TonyT said:

The architects I know advise the clien on how to spend money knowing fine well they are in a percentage of the final build cost.

Have you expressed your view to these Architects?

If so, have you had a response?

Keep us posted.

Edited by Gus Potter

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Doesn't RICS have a a section on there website about what to expect and how payment should happen.

https://www.rics.org/uk/

The one Architect I now know gets charged extra if he wants milk in his tea, and charged even more if he does not want it.  Seems fair to me.

What has the RICS got to do with architects fees?.....