New heating for terraced house in London

In conversation in another place about heat pumps this has been asked:

What are the current green alternatives to a gas boiler which heats radiators and water for a terraced house in London, say?

Thoughts?

I would say insulate to approx current newbuild building regs probably with internal Wall Insulation, floor and loft, work out heat demand, and then look around.

But I can't see many viable alternative to ASHP, unless something like Sunamp and off-peak electricity is now realistic (ie used as a storage heater).

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Thoughts?

London tends to be 1 to 1.5°C higher temperature than the surrounding counties (though it does depend where in London as it is a very large place). So ASHP a good idea, and they can cool.

Also the air quality is pretty poor.  So MVHR should be fitted (put the inlet pipe up as high as possible).

So there may be, depending on the space available and the cash to spend, a case for forced air heating as that can combine the two.  It is only larger pipework really.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Are we yet at the stage where a Sunamp can be heated up overnight, and then used to run radiators during the day?

Why though. They may save a little space, and have a kWh of two lower standing losses, but they cost a lot. Similar to a heat pump.

47 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Are we yet at the stage where a Sunamp can be heated up overnight, and then used to run radiators during the day?

Do not think so. Some finger in the air stuff. Current building regs imply about 45kWh/m2.yr for Target Fabric Energy Efficiency (TFEE) for terraces - 

pages 5/6 - https://www.zerocarbonhub.org/sites/default/files/resources/reports/Fabric_Standards_for_2013-Worked_Examples_and_Fabric_Specification.pdf

or about 3150kWh for 70m2 property. If 20% in January then an average of 20kWh/day and twice average on anyone day not uncommon.

4 hours ago, A_L said:

Do not think so. Some finger in the air stuff. Current building regs imply about 45kWh/m2.yr for Target Fabric Energy Efficiency (TFEE) for terraces - 

pages 5/6 - https://www.zerocarbonhub.org/sites/default/files/resources/reports/Fabric_Standards_for_2013-Worked_Examples_and_Fabric_Specification.pdf

or about 3150kWh for 70m2 property. If 20% in January then an average of 20kWh/day and twice average on anyone day not uncommon.

Hmmm.

So potentially 1 or 2 of these Sunamps,  depending on efficiency of the house. 12kWh storage each at £3k per piece. Not quite there except at the margins.

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/sunamp-heat-batteries/sunamp-ehw-ipv-12

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Why though. They may save a little space, and have a kWh of two lower standing losses, but they cost a lot. Similar to a heat pump.

The request was for any ideas.

So speculating.

Personally I might be tempted to storage heaters plus a boost, if ASHP was not suitable.

6 minutes ago, IanR said:

For new build Terrace houses and Apartments, how about District Heating? Seems to work in Sweden.

Yes - agree on an estate-level scheme.

I think this one is already owned, and so I have said do the fabric first to a C or a B of course. Think of say a modest terrace in Chiswick.

It's somebody who has already done a barn conversion in the Lake, so knows at least a reasonable amount of stuff.

We were all debating the piece in the Sun today about fines for people who persist in wanting gas boilers. The story is  mainly wrong, but an interesting debate in a political space.

6 minutes ago, IanR said:

For new build Terrace houses and Apartments, how about District Heating? Seems to work in Sweden.

While this can make sense, I think with the UKs attitude for Me Me Me, and our inability to financially support people when out of work, there is a risk that people may pay more than necessary, and some use a lot more than they should.

Edited by SteamyTea

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

While this can make sense, I think with the UKs attitude for Me Me Me, and our I ability to financially support people when out of work, there is a risk that people may pay more than necessary, and some use a lot more than they should.

Agree. It would need to be metered as it goes into each property, otherwise taps would be left running and windows open.

For retrofitting tower blocks, when the hydrogen revolution doesn't happen for domestic heating, there is a plausible option of filling the roof space up with ASHPs and running the hot water down to each apartment externally.

But that's going off topic...

This was my comment:

--------------------

Green point 1 is always Fabric First - make insulated, ventilated, airtight, so that your energy requirement is 1/3 or 2/3 less, and you can have a smaller, cheaper whatever-it-is at the start. Nice thing about terraces is that you only have half the walls.

Technologies in this situation?

(I would build a heat model so I can countercheck whether I need the version they claim - ss here https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/439-fabric-and-ventilation-heat-loss-calculator/)

ASHP is probably a good one. You may need bigger radiators for distribution or perhaps look at a thin-layer ufh system which are available down to about 18mm thick. OTOH existing rads may deliver the heat you need if you have fabric-firsted well.

Don't forget about the hot water, which is always a bigger instant load than heating. Or that for really well insulated houses, often cooling it down at certain times is the bigger challenge.

Something like a Sunamp heat battery may be a decent boost (heat it up on offpeak), or for the water. I am not sure yet whether that is yet up to being a full heating system - again depends on the house.

Or as it is London with its 'orrible air quality, something like a forced air heating system which would incorporate filters might be suitable. That could use an Air to Air Heat Pump. ASHP can also feed rads I believe.

Just thoughts

2 hours ago, dpmiller said:

@Dave JonesNo they aren't. Cite your source.

they must be 1m away from any boundary and emit less than 42dBA which is very hard to do unless at least 5m away from a neighbour boundary. Certainly if it was only 1 or 2m away then environmental health would be out as it would be a statuary noise nuisance.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Jones is trolling again.

its a recognised common issue with them. Same as having a small wind turbine on the house, it creates an unpleasant and constant noise. May not be an iussue if the nearest neighbour is 500m away but in a terrace it will certainly be a problem. 

Think very carefully before going ahead as it could be expensive to rip it out after.

https://www.soundplanning.co.uk/heat-pump-noise/

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

Certainly if it was only 1 or 2m away then environmental health would be out as it would be a statuary noise nuisance.

Ours is 1m from a boundary (in a conservation area, no less) and certainly haven't had  environmental health out yet.

The road and 24hr train line is much louder than the heat pump, even stood right by it. The neighbours boiler flue is about the same noise. 

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

its a recognised common issue with them

It is a very rare issue and normally caused by being too small for the job, or damage/lack of maintenance.

The comparison with a small wind turbine is spurious at best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2021 at 15:06, SteamyTea said:

It is a very rare issue and normally caused by being too small for the job, or damage/lack of maintenance.

The comparison with a small wind turbine is spurious at best.

not really, when they have to work hard when its cold they are at their worst.