Mortar Rationing

Onoff

This has been going on for the last couple of months 

Sites I work on have gone from 2 days notice to seven for silo refills 

Partly the building boom 

Partly government paying companies to run short staffed 

The bit of good news for All Is that while trades will still be busy 

Those that are claiming the government handout Have till the 4th of June to claim there hopefully last government handout 

So normal service will resume 

43 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

the furlough scheme has been an absolute scam,

It may be for some (who choose to break the rules) but for others its been a life saver I.e my son and daughter and their partners and quite a few others I know.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

It may be for some (who choose to break the rules) but for others its been a life saver I.e my son and daughter and their partners and quite a few others I know.

What trade are they in? There’s not many that haven’t worked right through :) 

28 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

What trade are they in?

My son and partner runs a pub , my daughters partner is a roofer and despite working outdoors found people were very reluctant to have strangers at their house so he was furloughed by his boss, my daughter worked in a restaurant.

45 minutes ago, DragsterDriver said:

There’s not many that haven’t worked right through

There is down here, hospitality workers (12% of the area's economy) and non essential shops (about 35% of the area's economy).  Even agriculture has had to lay people off because of the reduced demand for some crops (generally the posh things that restaurants buy).  Fishing is hard hit as well.

Then there are the unknown people that have had reduced hours because they support the other industries.

Last year, 39% of the workforce was on genuine furlough in Newquay and St Awfull, and the county as a whole is at 33%.

The Cornish would rather be poor than have anyone tell them what to do, but like the EU (we are still getting some) and Central Government handouts.  I would happily be on furlough till I retire, then I would get a pay rise.

I think it is money that helps, certainly more than low paid jobs in unsecure employment, which is what we normally have here.  People seem pretty happy.

Edited by SteamyTea