Do these estimates from howden seem off?

Howdens  prices are always high to start with (I used them a lot when working), go get quotes from others (b&q etc) and they usually will match or beat their price, it’s all a game.

Edited by joe90

Last time I used them the price to the public included fitter's margin, and they genuinely discouraged the public (fair enough) by giving the higher price.. If still the case, then you need the trade price, and it may be more than 20%.

Also, I remember they had a computerised costing system. I was advised to add another accessory to go over some figure, and the total came down.

I've said to my builder that the howdens quote is way overpriced, so it'll be interesting to see what he says as he arranged it all.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be getting more quotes and look for a stone supplier.

It's funny when I asked howdens for their final and best estimate with the max discount they said their prices are competitive and in the unlikely event a find a cheaper kitchen they'd match it. What happens to the vulnerable people that accept their opening offer.

Howdens really pi$$ me off. I opened a trade account easy enough as a self-builder, but dicking around trying to get their best prices was never worth the effort.  With the exception of a load of skirting and architrave I bought on offer, I spent my kitchen/utility/internal door/wardrobe budget elsewhere.  They could have had it all.  W@nker$.

However.... branches vary, so negotiate hard and good luck!

8 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

However.... branches vary, so negotiate hard and good luck!

Oh yes, my local branch was really good to me, I used another once as it was nearer my customer and they could not give a sh1t!!!

• Like 1

Howdens like Wickes and the other sheds have never been able to decide weather they are a trade outlet or a diy store 

While I wouldn’t use them for our own build I do use them for trade jobs 

Once I’ve got my quote I simply ask them Do you want to have another look at it before I take it next door to Benchmark 

That’s usually when I get my managers discount Or I take it into Benchmark and get a couple of grand off for the same product

This pendulum system must work for them It did for Ford for many years 

But it’s unworkable for trade 

I would take your quote into Benchmark 

I used wickes once, the customers choice, but quite a few items were missing or wrong, took them ages to replace (took the customer quite a few phone calls/not a stock item!). Howdens kept everything in stock and never questioned mistakes/damage and prompt replacement. They did the same fir me in another town, perhaps I was lucky, can only speak as I find!

I did a mates kitchen in Hereford last year (as a favour as I am retired), when I unwrapped the fridge it had a little dent in the door, I rang the depot, they had to get one from another town but it was delivered the next day. Young chap was taking the old one away, I offered to help and pointed out I had cut the box/straps , as he picked it up it fell out of the box onto the concrete drive breaking the door hinges and an even a bigger set of dents ?.  Oops

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, willbish said:

max Howdens will give

Unless things have changed, they don't give big discounts to the public, so that the professional  installer can hide some margin.

There used to be 2 different price lists, then discounts for quantity.

Therefore make it clear, subtly/ quietly, that you need a trade discount.

Howdens only (should) sell to a trade  account holder (I used to have one) I have had up to 85% discount on some parts, always go to another ( cheap ) supplier for a quote and Howdens will price match. I have to say Howdens were a very good supplier (IMO).when I was working.