Brick, Mortar and window colours

We've settled on a facing brick TBS Farmhouse antique, builder has come up with an idea that the brick would suit a light mortar, which I agree with - however It hadn't even crossed my mind to stray from grey...  Additionally we have specced Anthracite on the windows, black rainwater, and a dark grey slate effect clay tile.  I had seen some rather fetching cast cill's and I'd found a manufacturer that will do these in Anthracite too, so have priced these up and I'm ready to pull the trigger.  Under DPC we've got blue's.

Now I've got the picture in my mind, the bricks work well with the windows and roof covering, it seems a fair contrast not too overpowering in favour of one colour, or the other, the cills i'm 70/30 in favour of...  However adding white/lighter mortar to the mix adds another level.  It doesnt help that my elevations on the drawings are in the wrong colours either.  For what it's worth the building will be set in a rural, woodland location, no other properties in the same field of view so have nothing to contrast against.

Does anybody have this combination of colours on the go, or even just antique brick and light mortar?  

I'd love to see pictures, so I can fill my mind with other possibilities.

Many thanks 

Marek

Dark cast cills will fade over time as they use concrete dyes rather than bake in the colour due to the clays when they make bricks etc. I don’t think they will look that good as they will all fade differently depending on the weathering. 

It is well worth getting an actual sample of the materials and looking at them together.  Mostly they will send them out for free, but even if you have to pay it is worth it for the peace of mind.

I find it surprising how long someone will ponder an item of clothing or a duvet cover yet go for external materials on a house they have not seen.

Yep, have samples, bricks, tiles etc and to be fair we like the contrasts between the bricks, tiles and windows.  just not with the lighter mortar as this was a suggestion made to us yesterday.  It's the mortar colour which has thrown me TBH, perfectly happy with the 'as mixed' with our local sand colour.  Myself and the good lady want to see it all together before deciding on the lighter colour or not.

Good info on the cills, - Thankyou.

We have “antique” bricks (tumbled so the corners are knocked off), we had mixed sand and lime to replicate old lime Mortor and we think it looks really good. I specified brick cills and the colour of the windows was completely wrong ? we wanted “national trust olive green” but there is more than one shade. We chose RAL 1000 on the iPad (big mistake) windows arrived on site bright yellow and I had a fit!!! But now the house is complete we love it and everyone says how nice it is (too late to change it).

9DE52DB9-D599-49C2-8AF5-F41F360F3855.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by joe90
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, joe90 said:

We have “antique” bricks (tumbled so the corners are knocked off), we had mixed sand and lime to replicate old lime Mortor and we think it looks really good. I specified brick cills and the colour of the windows was completely wrong ? we wanted “national trust olive green” but there is more than one shade. We chose RAL 1000 on the iPad (big mistake) windows arrived on site bright yellow and I had a fit!!! But now the house is complete we love it and everyone says how nice it is (too late to change it).

image.jpg

What is they name of these bricks? I’m now selecting for my self build and trying to keep a similar colour to next door but I prefer a more antique style and these seem to fit the bill. 

1 minute ago, Vee6 dan said:

What is they name of these bricks?

If i remember correctly they were called “Northumberland blend” bought through a brick supplier in Exeter (but they did come from Northumberland originally).

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

If i remember correctly they were called “Northumberland blend” bought through a brick supplier in Exeter (but they did come from Northumberland originally).

Thanks. I’ll look into it. A lot of the antique bricks are a shade or 2 lighter 

12 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I have just looked at Ibstock but can’t find it?

I think I’ve found them. I’m a bricklayer by trade and not come across them before. Do you think they are one of the ag.Uk Woodward bricks?

Ive used ag’s block pavings before as an alternative to marshalls 

Edited by Vee6 dan

50 minutes ago, Vee6 dan said:

Do you think they are one of the ag.Uk Woodward bricks?

No idea, I found them in the internet and my builder ordered them (he commented that they were a good price at the time, three years ago tho). They did send brick slip samples x 4 and the missus picked this one (so it’s not my fault ?‍♂️).

just to add, as I am OCD I got the bricklayer to use whole or half bricks only and had the windows bespokely made to order (I hate little bits of brick).

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

Does anybody have this combination of colours on the go, or even just antique brick and light mortar?

TBS bricks are made by Nelissen who have a good joint selection tool on their website. You need to find out what that brick is called by the manufacturer as TBS use their own names for the UK market.

6DB331EE-19D4-4FD4-9EBD-5B387C5E4C29.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Yes, I like that, and it all works together really well I think. Well done.  I especially like the window cill brick detail, I will show that to my builder, that design could well save me some pennies too against the cost of cast cills.

Can I ask how the window frame is sealed against the angled brick in the Cill?

18 hours ago, joe90 said:

image.jpg

@crispy_wafer my windows are in “check reveals”, this means the windows fit against the back of the brick skin with a foam seal and held with stainless brackets and screws to that brickwork. The brick cill was built on an angled bed or Mortor then the window sat on it with a silicone seal to the outside. I also foamed the joint between window and brickwork. I also had angled reveals as the cavity is 200mm deep, this gives a nice cottage feel to the rooms sand makes the rooms lighter. Excuse the CAD drawing (crayon assisted drawing!!!).

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, crispy_wafer said:

Yep, have samples, bricks, tiles etc and to be fair we like the contrasts between the bricks, tiles and windows.  just not with the lighter mortar as this was a suggestion made to us yesterday.  It's the mortar colour which has thrown me TBH, perfectly happy with the 'as mixed' with our local sand colour.  Myself and the good lady want to see it all together before deciding on the lighter colour or not.

Good info on the cills, - Thankyou.

We had to make up a 1m2 brick panel with our chosen bricks and mortar to satisfy the Conservation Officer; worth doing if you've any doubts.

19 hours ago, Vee6 dan said:

I think I’ve found them. I’m a bricklayer by trade and not come across them before. Do you think they are one of the ag.Uk Woodward bricks?

Ive used ag’s block pavings before as an alternative to marshalls 

Might be worth a look at Hoskins bricks if you want something 'old' looking; we used Old Farmhouse Blend.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Might be worth a look at Hoskins bricks if you want something 'old' looking; we used Old Farmhouse Blend.

Thanks. I built my last house with those, a little on the pricey side now and not quite as red as the above.