Anyone got one ?

Not so keen on software option as generally slower plus annual fee .

Looking to hide my IP but also be able to setup any external web/iOS app to have access .

3 hours ago, pocster said:

Anyone got one ?

Not so keen on software option as generally slower plus annual fee .

Looking to hide my IP but also be able to setup any external web/iOS app to have access .

Unless you're talking carrier grade equipment, I think you'll find and "hardware" VPN is purely software VPN running on a dedicated box. (Intel CPUs have had some sort of cryto accelerator support for years)

My unifi USG has a VPN client built in, but I'd struggle to call it a Hardware VPN with a straight face.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, joth said:

Unless you're talking carrier grade equipment, I think you'll find and "hardware" VPN is purely software VPN running on a dedicated box. (Intel CPUs have had some sort of cryto accelerator support for years)

My unifi USG has a VPN client built in, but I'd struggle to call it a Hardware VPN with a straight face.

Yeah I guess I mean a “ dedicated vpn “ box . Did look at the UniFi one . How do you get on with it ?

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I guess I mean a “ dedicated vpn “ box . Did look at the UniFi one . How do you get on with it ?

What it does, it does extremely well and overall life is much more stable using it.

It has a few niggles/ missing features that even really basic routers often support now, and for some reason they are incredibly slow / unwilling to address.

Example: the built in speed test monitor never seems to work

Example: it uses DHCP presented names for local DNS resolution fine, but for devices that don't supply a meaningful name, the "name alias" you set in the router does NOT work as it's DNS name. So I end up with more hard coded IP addresses that I had with my own hand rolled dnsmasq setup.

Example: I bought it for wan1/2 failover, but connecting a second modem to wan 2 that's in a permanently failed state (e.g. an LTE modem with expired PAYG sim card) randomly causes wan 1 to spuriously fail too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joth said:

What it does, it does extremely well and overall life is much more stable using it.

It has a few niggles/ missing features that even really basic routers often support now, and for some reason they are incredibly slow / unwilling to address.

Example: the built in speed test monitor never seems to work

Example: it uses DHCP presented names for local DNS resolution fine, but for devices that don't supply a meaningful name, the "name alias" you set in the router does NOT work as it's DNS name. So I end up with more hard coded IP addresses that I had with my own hand rolled dnsmasq setup.

Example: I bought it for wan1/2 failover, but connecting a second modem to wan 2 that's in a permanently failed state (e.g. an LTE modem with expired PAYG sim card) randomly causes wan 1 to spuriously fail too.

Sounds like they need to fix a few bugs . 

I use cyberghost and it's never slowed any thing of mine down. Use it to stream IPTV, prime, Netflix etc and have streamed 4k quality streams with no issue. Cost £60 for 3 years and works across 10 different devices so sold a few slots and covered my outlay.

• Like 1