Misleading information presented to committee

Rich Pen

Our planning application recently went before the planning committee with recommendation for approval but was unanimously refused.

Here is the refusal statement.

It is considered that the proposed development by virtue of its scale, dominance and overdevelopment of the site would result in a loss of daylight and sunlight to the adjacent residential gardens to the north detrimentally impacting on the occupiers amenity, contrary to Policy DM25 and DM30 of the *******District Plan Part 2.”

The boundary wall to the north and the one in question was presented to the committee in the councils written and verbal presentation as being 11m long and  6.2 meters high along its entire length.

The fact is the wall is 11m long but only 2m of its length is 6.2m high and the remaing 9m is only 4.8m high.

This crucial and misleading inaccuracies could of had a very detrimental influence on the committees decision to approve or refuse especially as the refusal was due to overshadowing of the neighbors garden.

We have paid a considerable sum to a planning consultant from inception up to the refusal.

The planning department posted there written appraisal that would be presented to the committee well in advance and the consultant and I had a long discussion on how positive it sounded.I the applicant did not notice the mistakes regarding the height of the wall but maybe the consultant should of.

Or should my concerns be taken up with the planning department?Would there be any sort of redress?

I mentioned my concerns to the consultant who in my view fobbed me off by saying  the planning departments error could form part of my argument if I go to Appeal.

I was well aware that the committee could make up there own mind but for the committee to be presented with the wrong information is surely unfair.

Your comments would be most welcome.

IMG_0372.PNG

Maybe but the planning department stated in there appraisal that anyb loss of sunlight,daylight did not have a detrimental impact on the neighbors.

I have since been in touch regarding having a DSIA done and there initial reaction is that it is well within national guidelines.

Never the less that isn't the situation I am trying to address in my post

1 hour ago, Rich Pen said:

... and the remaing 9m is only 4.8m high.

Even at 4.8m high, that's still 2.5 times higher than an ordinary garden fence. Is there a reason the wall is so tall?

I would want to confirm if the planners or your consultant came up with the duff info?, if your consultant then he should get this re heard (at his expense). If the planners then find out what course to redress their cockup. 

23 minutes ago, Rich Pen said:

I have since been in touch regarding having a DSIA done and there initial reaction is that it is well within national guidelines.

Don’t be afraid to go to appeal, I did, by myself, and won. In my case the council kept coming up with duff info that I easily proved wrong. We won hands down and the council was told off for not following their own guidelines!!!!

I didn't spot this at first but it's a little confusing where you refer to the boundary wall being 6.2m and 4.8m when in fact it looks to me like you're actually referring to the side wall of the house. Can you confirm this.

If the officers report recommended approval then the committee have to have grounds for a refusal. They can't just decide to refuse because they don't like it, although they often do but then its overturned on appeal.

Why did it go to committee? Were there lots of objections during consultation period?

Edited by Rob99
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rich Pen said:

My question is regarding misleading details being presented to the planning committee.

I know, but I don't think that's the only question you should be asking. You did ask for comments.

I the applicant did not notice the mistakes regarding the height of the wall but maybe the consultant should of. 

You say this information "was presented to the committee in the councils written and verbal presentation as being 11m long and  6.2 meters high along its entire length". Did they use the term "entire length"? Or did they just say something like the wall was 8m long and 6.2m high? 

Either way, I suspect you're not in a strong position. You're the applicant, it's your site, and presumably there's no-one better placed to pick up an error like this, assuming you had view of this information before it was relied upon. If you didn't spot it, why is it reasonable to expect that the consultant should have?

Also, the drawings very clearly show that the wall height varies along its length. No reasonable person would just ignore the drawings. 

To win at appeal on this ground you'll need to show that the error was a material factor in the decision. I suspect that will be difficult. 

Sorry to hear about your issue:-( 

I think if it went to committee with a recommendation for approval and was rejected then you would stand a good chance at appeal. I guess your only redress is a request for costs to be awarded as part of the appeal.

The planning system is an absolute farce in this country IMHO.

I intend to appeal on the grounds that a Daylight,sunshine,impact assessment would show that the loss of amenity to the neighbors garden would be within recommended national guidelines thus disproving the reason for the refusalThe error in the dimensions of the wall would have to be mentioned but not relied on.

It is considered that the proposed development by virtue of its scale, dominance and overdevelopment of the site would result in a loss of... 

and

18 minutes ago, jack said:

To win at appeal you'll need to show that the error [ the erroneous reporting of the  height of the wall ] was a material factor in the decision. I suspect that will be difficult. 

There's your clear agenda. Address those three issues. The wall issue, I suspect, might not be as important as you appear to  think.

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 1

Just now, Rich Pen said:

Toughbuttercup thanks for your comment.Could you please confirm what you mean.

He is saying that he doesn't believe it to be the wall that is the issue, it is the size of the house on the plot and how close it is to the boundary that is the issue.

Looking at your site plan it does look pretty tight!

I think the height of the walls (varied or not) is related to the scale, dominance and overdevelopment statement. I'm guessing the neighbours are worried they will feel like they are living next to a concrete bunker?  I can't see their properties properly, but it looks like they have south facing gardens and so might be affected by a tall adjacent structure.

Is it worth making modifications if you can, before you go to appeal?

39 minutes ago, Rich Pen said:

I agree but the planning department were totally onboard during the consultation period and commented that all those issues were not relevant.They recommended the committee approve the proposal.

Committees aren't required to go along with recommendations.

Politely, you're focusing on the wrong issues. You need to focus on the three words used in the rejection. You then need to decide whether an appeal is the right response, rather than resubmitting while taking these issues into account.