London pub rebuilt brick by brick after being illegally demolished

ProDave

True - but I used to live quite close to that place and no-one used to go there.  It will re-open and go bust in fairly short order I imagine following the lockdown.

Shame.

The kids these days don't do pubs so they all face an uphill struggle.

8 hours ago, Faz said:

Not true in my experience - we have a couple of children, both in their twenties, who were regular frequenters of pubs that are set up right before this pandemic - and we used to drop by and see them there. I dimly recall, as it feels such a long time ago but is only slightly over a year, when they dragged us round several central London pubs for lunch, afternoon drinks then evening. The pubs were, to be fair, all of a type - staffed mainly by hipsters, but good beer and well kept wines.

I know the pub, and the area well. Fingers crossed for the new people running the place but, this aint central London, full of tourists. This is quite a poor area. I very much doubt it will last Two years. Don't get me wrong, the developer was taking the pi$$ and it was a stunning old building.

10 hours ago, Faz said:

True - but I used to live quite close to that place and no-one used to go there.  It will re-open and go bust in fairly short order I imagine following the lockdown.

Shame.

Depends - I have a very small share in our local community owned pub. Was a struggle to get it out from the threat of 'development' (most likely demolition) but we succeeded after failing with a previous local that is now an express supermarket.

I'm a regular on the Thursday night quiz but at the weekend it's got plenty of local 20 somethings in there - most of the staff are that age also. 

We've managed to keep it alive over lockdown, doing takeway sales last summer and moving the quiz online to preserve the community but had to shutter the pub it this time round. Wet bars (i.e. no food) are really struggling and have had the least help in the hospitality sector.

That said, looking forward to re-opening in May!