Stair Design for Comfort

Guest Alphonsox

30 minutes ago, sruk said:

to achieve 38.1 degrees I can use 244 going (no nosing) and 191.1 rise (R*2+G=626.2) th4 going will be very close to the current only the rise will be more, not sure if going with a rise of 191.1mm will be comfortable.

correction to above figures, 243 going and 190.8 rise (R*2+G=624.6), is 190.8 rise considered comfortable?

thanks

Here's an interesting article on stair design that looks specifically at the 2R + G relationship. Your proposed stair with 624 is very close to bang on in the middle of the recommended mininum and maximum of 550 - 700 respectively.

https://www.practicalarchitecture.com/blog/the-geometry-of-a-comfortable-staircase

I currently have construction work stairs that are 41 degrees and a rise of 208 (15 of them) and this has been used for lots of heavy transport of materials. Certainly no complaints from anyone and not tripping whatsoever.

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

Here's an interesting article on stair design that looks specifically at the 2R + G relationship. Your proposed stair with 624 is very close to bang on in the middle of the recommended mininum and maximum of 550 - 700 respectively.

https://www.practicalarchitecture.com/blog/the-geometry-of-a-comfortable-staircase

I currently have construction work stairs that are 41 degrees and a rise of 208 (15 of them) and this has been used for lots of heavy transport of materials. Certainly no complaints from anyone and not tripping whatsoever.

Thanks for that, this article has been mentioned and i was pretty chuffed at getting bang in the middle of the range.

regarding rise of 208... my wife and kids are not your average constructions workers 😜

8 hours ago, sruk said:

my wife and kids are not your average constructions workers 😜

Neither are mine...nor am I for that matter. I hadn't worked in construction ever before taking on the build. Works for us and the stairs may stay as the final staircase for the house 😀

• Like 1

My stairs were difficult.  It is 2 strings joined by a half landing.  The one insurmountable  design feature is the lower string had to be slightly shorter than the top string so that meant an odd number of steps, so we ended up with 13 steps total.  That pushed the rise to close to the maximum, 202mm iirc,  I compensated for that by making the going as long as the space I had which ended up with a pitch of I think 40 degrees.

I couldn't go up to 15 steps total as the bottom string would be too long then even at the minimum going.

• Like 1