New Rainwater Drains

Hi all

We are about replace/renew all our rainwater gullies to accommodate a new footpath around the house as it's currently too high. Whilst we're at it we propose to renew all the drains carrying the water to the existing outlet which is a small stream that runs through our property. There are no environmental issues/restrictions with the stream and will be the same as when it was built in 1969 just new and we have no near neighbours.

Do I require building control to be involved?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Bart1664

6 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

I wouldn't 

Thanks Oz

So is that an opinion or no, I don't require BC to be involved. I can't see why they need to be as I'm not extending anything just replacing with new but LABC seem to quote 'Approved Document H' under Building Regs 2010 but it's not cleat if they should be involved or not?

Thanks

And I'm with you on this but my only concern would be when I come to sell as I'd more than likely want to promote the fact that it's been done and hence a conveyancer or surveyor would likely ask for the relevant documents? 

So just want to do what's right but finding out what that actually is doesn't seem to be clear.

If you're not increasing the catchment of the gullies (i.e. not increasing the hard standing area) then the works are classed as a repair and no additional permissions or regularisation is required*.

*From my BCO a few years ago when we did an extension and had to relay all the external drainage.

• Thanks 1

For anyone that is interested I've had confirmation (from building control guy we used for sewage treatment plant) that as it's not a new installation and were simply renewing the old antiquated pipes building control do not need to be involved.