Water Conections

nod

50 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

My answer to @nod is because that’s the question he asked; 

The size of pipe required to do a 30m run, typically, will sit at 25mm. If it was north of 50m then I’d look at upsizing, but the typical offering from the domestic water supply will be within the Fresno’s of the smaller pipe bring acceptable. 

My comments downstream were relative to the points made as the thread drifted ;)  

ok cool. that makes sense and thanks for clarifying. as my run is only about 30m I'll go for a 25mm pipe too.

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Shouldn't people check local pressure before deciding?

Mostly down to the length of the run. 25mm is what most settings will happily survive on, but then you’d upsize according to how adverse the run is between street and stopcock.

But yes, a survey is always recommended in every instance, where practicable. 

19 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Mostly down to the length of the run. 25mm is what most settings will happily survive on, but then you’d upsize according to how adverse the run is between street and stopcock.

But yes, a survey is always recommended in every instance, where practicable. 

ok, so how would one go about doing that survey? we are living on site in the existing building and have a mains water supply but we want to get a new supply for the new house as it's at the other end of the plot so rather than run a pipe all the way around the existing building and up the garden I feel it'll be easier to get a new supply. do I just put a water pressure gauge on our outside tap that I'm 99% sure comes straight off the meter as I had to fix a leek under the garden? or is there something more scientific than that?

Try doing litres per minute flow at the outside tap, 

Link

Then pressure; static ( with all taps shut first ) then dynamic ( with the kitchen sink tap going flat out ). 
Link

Let us know the results. 

If the results come back poor, then you will need to eliminate the possibility of a compromised mains pipe, so you’d then need to dig down by the street connection ( external stop tap in the ground ) where it enters at your boundary and connect to that temporarily and re-perform the survey.

• Like 1

Or for the poor man's test like mine if you live in an area where pressure is crap (technical plumbing term) and you're waiting ages for a bucket to fill at tap just spend the extra 200 or so to upgrade to 32mm and be satisfied you've done all you could have...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Or for the poor man's test like mine if you live in an area where pressure is crap (technical plumbing term) and you're waiting ages for a bucket to fill at tap just spend the extra 200 or so to upgrade to 32mm and be satisfied you've done all you could have...

In a nutshell.

• 2 weeks later...

so, I just went ahead and put an application in for a 32mm pipe (yes @Nickfromwales, I am a bit lazy and didn't do the testing, sorry.) and Southern Water have come back with this:

1. As per our calculations, the proposed fitting details would require a 50mm OD pipe size with the flow rate of 0.8l/s. Please confirm the pipe size required for the new house.

I wasn't even given the option for a 50mm pipe when creating the application. the choice was 32mm or 25mm.

Any one able to assist in what they're proposing?

• Like 1

Crazy.

You don't need more than 32mm with a cuffing sprinkler system !! The last time I specified 50mm was where there were 3x 400L cold mains accumulators and a pump in a garage, and we needed to feed the house, and I needed a bigger pipe to retain the stored energy potential from the accumulators without hinderance.

That's 'hooj'..... 

• Haha 1