Cheap Generator Hire?

hmpmarketing

3 minutes ago, hmpmarketing said:

Yea I figured being Petrol would be cheap. However I wont need it for a long run, so forgetting the petrol/diesel thing, I was wondering if this would be enough (and dont breakdown when mostly needed!!!!)

Think of all those extra things to break in a petrol,

If you really must, as I said, but 3 (or 4) cheap 3kva Gennys, keep one at the end, and if you've looked after them half decent and not bashed them about, you'll get most of your money back for the others, and, if one breaks down, you've still got others to use.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Errr pardon me for being thick but....

Are you going timber frame or blockwork build..? I thought you had just poured founds so when do they think they will have you wind and water tight and first fix done..? And why the rush to dry it out..?

Hi Peter, 

We are going Timber Frame, probably didn't mention it, but my solution is turnkey (company comes and do all the work and finishes). Coming on the 2nd of March, watertight a few days after. They will need electricity for all tools, etc, can only get SSE to connect in April, hence the need for a generator (for the tools as mentioned above). Neighbour does not bother if I use his electricity, however having to prepare a distribution board on site off his supply is something I dont feel good about it, so the generator is the solution for power at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

If you get your 3 weeks out of that you should throw a party,! 

Never mind getting getting 3hours to the gallon,!!! 

So they are crap then!

2 minutes ago, hmpmarketing said:

Hi Peter, 

We are going Timber Frame, probably didn't mention it, but my solution is turnkey (company comes and do all the work and finishes). Coming on the 2nd of March, watertight a few days after. They will need electricity for all tools, etc, can only get SSE to connect in April, hence the need for a generator (for the tools as mentioned above). Neighbour does not bother if I use his electricity, however having to prepare a distribution board on site off his supply is something I dont feel good about it, so the generator is the solution for power at the moment.

So they are crap then!

I'd say so, there is getting a bargain, and there is looking at something that is too good to be true. 

Came upon this:

http://www.stuartgroup.ltd.uk/power/generator-hire/standard-generator-hire.php

Can anyone comment on their rates? I think Im tired, cant make sense of them!

Standard quoting terms for that sort of thing - get it on light columns too.

The 60hr rate is based on you running the unit for 60hrs per 7 days hire - if you go over it then they charge you £1.30 per hour. Every gennie has an hour meter so they will check it out and check it back in again.

Unlimited is just that - you can run it 24x7 and just pay for the week,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Standard quoting terms for that sort of thing - get it on light columns too.

The 60hr rate is based on you running the unit for 60hrs per 7 days hire - if you go over it then they charge you £1.30 per hour. Every gennie has an hour meter so they will check it out and check it back in again.

Unlimited is just that - you can run it 24x7 and just pay for the week,

Thank you for the info, so the generators have an "odometer" haha, that I didn't know!

5 minutes ago, hmpmarketing said:

Came upon this:

http://www.stuartgroup.ltd.uk/power/generator-hire/standard-generator-hire.php

Can anyone comment on their rates? I think Im tired, cant make sense of them!

OK, so the price is per week hire, with maximum 60hours use, pretty standard for plant, you are hours limited,

They also have an unlimited hours hire charge too,

How much power at any one point does your builder require,? 

EDIT  @PeterW was quicker than me

Edited by Steptoe

1 minute ago, Steptoe said:

OK, so the price is per week hire, with maximum 60hours use, pretty standard for plant, you are hours limited,

They also have an unlimited hours hire charge too,

How much power at any one point does your builder require,? 

His requirement (company) is, if there won’t be chance to have temporary electrical supply (distribution board, RCD, 2x32Amp circuits with 2 double sockets each), then he needs a  a generator on site (minimum 10kVA generator), I guess the 10kVA requirement is because of these heaters they use on every house they build around the country.

Thank you for the info, so the generators have an "odometer" haha, that I didn't know!

Yep..!

Two things to bear in mind - these things drink diesel like a paddy with a thirst, and they are VERY desirable by our traveling tarmac fraternity.... insure it, then take the wheels off it and make it impossible to get to..!

Ideally get one with an underslung bowser or tank, or get one you can tow to a filling station unless you know a good cheap source of red diesel in 56 gallon drums..!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Yep..!

Two things to bear in mind - these things drink diesel like a paddy with a thirst, and they are VERY desirable by our traveling tarmac fraternity.... insure it, then take the wheels off it and make it impossible to get to..!

Ideally get one with an underslung bowser or tank, or get one you can tow to a filling station unless you know a good cheap source of red diesel in 56 gallon drums..!

Good tips indeed! will make sure I amputate its legs :D

I am near a boat marina, cheap red diesel is not afar. 

Tbh, I think your builders are being pricks demanding 10kva Genny on a private build, they should have propane heaters or similar, yes, they put a little bit of moisture in the air, but the heat they generate soon moves that,

The loads it seems these guys want are iro 2kw each x4 , you'll have any Genny you get on its knees  think. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

Tbh, I think your builders are being pricks demanding 10kva Genny on a private build, they should have propane heaters or similar, yes, they put a little bit of moisture in the air, but the heat they generate soon moves that,

The loads it seems these guys want are iro 2kw each x4 , you'll have any Genny you get on its knees  think. 

I see your point, I will have a word next week regarding this, maybe I can get away with it, so we will see.

Really appreciate all the feedback guys, thank you so much

2 minutes ago, hmpmarketing said:

I see your point, I will have a word next week regarding this, maybe I can get away with it, so we will see.

Really appreciate all the feedback guys, thank you so much

But,!!!!

Don't call them pricks, I can, it's not my house they are building, :)

If it comes to it, with loads like that, then hire is probably the way to go with loading like that, if it breaks down, get hire company to exchange it.

• Like 2

Or

Just now, Construction Channel said:

the day to day building of a house doesnt require that much power, to take a stab in the dark i would say 95% of the construction is either cordless or by hand.

(unless they are running air tools, in that case - some %s) 

It seems these guys want to run electric space heaters,! 

You could always take a gamble, get that cheap one at £1k, if it breaks down after whatever then tough, you've got to hire one in, if it lasts the time, flog it and get at least your fuel money back, you'd have to pay for that either way anyway. 

If they are cold then they aren't working hard enough. Genny's are one of the most stolen tools on a site so take the wheels of it or chain it to something and never leave it on site overnight. 

If you are buying new buy one that has a good warranty so if it breaks down, which happens often, you can get it replaced.

Try tool hire shops to see if they have any going cheap as these will be well looked after.

8 hours ago, hmpmarketing said:

Having to prepare a distribution board on site off his supply is something I don't feel good about it, so the generator is the solution for power at the moment.

??

Our build is in a plot split off from the rest of our current house.  I didn't want to get into all of the Part P crap for a temporary supply so I just ran a 13 Amp socket on an extension from our shed to a small garage MCU which I had in the TF shell as soon as the ground floor was in place to a  couple of 13A socket strips and bought a dozen extension cable so we ran one to each floor and daisy chained any others to rooms as needed. 

We also bought ~10 cheap LED strip lights and work lights.  The only reason for the chaining extensions was convenience.   The builders mainly used the power for lighting, recharging their power tools and (unfortunately) the mandatory site radios blasting out Radio 2.  We also ran a small dehumidifier at times.   Our consumption never went up by more than 5 kWh per day.   And if there were any Qs about the temporary supply (which there weren't) we could always unplug it in the shed and say: what temporary supply? And in fact we did unplug it a few times over the course of the build when doing outside groundworks.

We powered our house like this for 10 months without any issues, as we only switched over to the plot supply and internal power after the electrics had been configured during second fix.

So my suggestion is have a word with the neighbour.  Buy a long extension and one of these plug-in battery backed socket power meters, and offer to pay him say 25p or even 50p per kWh for power drawn over the extension.  This will be a lot quieter ran running a genny all day on the site and lot cheaper.  So his life will be better without the genny at the bottom of the garden, and he'll also have a modest pocket money earner.

As to the space heating: use propane heaters and electric fans to circulate.

Anyway that's what I would do (did do) -- well not quite because we had our windows in on day 8 of the TF erection and once our frame was insulated you couldn't put more than ½-1 kW into any room without it getting too hot, so we never bothered with propane heaters: just no need.

Beware if buying cheap. LOOK at the spec.

I bought a cheap "8KVA" generator out of the back of a van (don't ask).  It was petrol, and 3 phase. Now when you actually read the spec, that 8KVA was "peak" and it was only 6KVA continuous, but being 3 phase, it meant it would only power a 2KVA single phase load.  It would do three such loads, but there was no way it would power say a 4KVA single phase load.

I sold it on ebay or gumtree, I forget which a week later for a small profit.

I would talk to the builder and see about hiring a propane or kerosene heater, the sort garages use is what I am thinking.

Re house building power consumption, I am up to the grand total so far of 65KWh used to build my house.  I typically get a quarterly bill of about £3

• Like 1

The only thing I may suggest about @TerryE suggestion is,

Don't buy a long extension lead, they are usually only 1.5mm , buy a 100m drum of 2.5 (or 4mm) artic flex and make your own,

Allows a bit more give on the volt drop, obviously will need jointed down to 2.5 at the plug end. 

You could even get yellow so it's more visible,

The blue for 230 and yellow for 110 isn't actually a fact btw, just a common usage thing.

I once had a H&S guy come storming into a house I was working in on a large site with site foreman and contracts manager in tow shouting and demanding I get threw off immediately as I was using 240 (pre harmonisation) tools.

He had seen the blue lead going through a window,

He soon quietened down and shuffled off again when he saw 110 plugs and sockets on everything. 

I'd had some blue artic in the van so used it to make an extra lead from. :)

• Like 1